Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing IP via Customizations Specifications Manager in Windows 2008 R2

I'm having problems automating the IP change for a win2008 R2 box. I've tried the customizer script as well as the Customizations Specifications Manager and they will not work. After making the change, i then edit the VM in the Recovery plan and try to select either the autogenerated one or the manually created one and get the error:

"The customization Specification 'servername' of type 'Windows' cannot be used to customize the guest operation system 'windows7Server64Guest' - screenshot attached

I thought this might have been b/c R2 wasn't supported until Update 1 but i updated the recovery side host and the error still occurs and it is showing as the correct OS as well. Should i need to update the host to Update 1 on the Protected side?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've updated the hosts and VC on the protected side and still getting the error. wondering if i need to recreate the protection group and the recovery plan.

0 Kudos
Commander
Commander

so now you have both VCs and all the hosts updated to Update1 on a recovery and protected sites?

what about vmware tools? is it updated to the latest version?

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, everything is updated to Update 1. Also, vmware tools are up to date as well. Same error after recreating the protection group, recovery plan, and customization.

0 Kudos
Commander
Commander

did you try to use custom specification while cloning or deploying R2 vm?

i know it should be supported in U1 but maybe this is a vcenter issue.

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just tried that this morning, i really did not expect it to work but it did. Now it looks like an SRM bug which we are testing and have no support for.

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM 4.0 only supports IP customization for guests that can be customized by vCenter 4.0. we are on a update to ensure IP customization of guests that can be customized by vCenter 4.0.1 including win 2k8 R2.

Thanks

Hari

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. Guess i'll see if i can workaround it for now by manipulating the OS version.

0 Kudos