VMware Cloud Community
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing DNS entries in my "Test Bubble" within SRM

I have a call open with tech support on this issue, but i thought i'd post it here as well.

my goal is to be able to have an automated process to update a dns entry(s) within the servers in my recovery plan. in the my recovery plan, we are "protecting" a domain controller/DHCP/DNS server. i know i can easily access that console of this server once it is up in the 'bubble' and change the DNS entry but i would like to automate it.

so, i followed one of the documents, but i cant see to have any luck. here's my info.

dns_update.cmd -srv 172.26.20.6 -srvtype windns -cmd add -fzone DOMAIN.com -rzone 172.26.20 -hostname newhost -ip "249" -toolspath "C:\pstools;C:\Program Files\Support Tools" -skipmode test

Below is the error I received:

1. Verifying input data

\Windows was unexpected at this time.

The command above is a script within the Recovery Plan within SRM. I have also tried running that command locally on the SRM Server to see that it wasn’t an SRM Recovery Plan issue.

172.26.20.6—is the IP address of my DHCP/DNS/AD server in the “test Bubble” in SRM

newhost—is the hostname that I wanted to add with the IP 172.26.20.249

“C:\pstools”—is the location of my psexec in the SRM server in my DR site

“C:\program files\support tools”—is the location of the dnscmd.exe on my DHCP/DNS/AD server in the “test Bubble” in SRM

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vKiller
Contributor
Contributor

You need to change the "“C:\program files\support tools" path to "
\program files\support tools". It should work then.

0 Kudos
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the reply, but it didn't work.

you're essentially say that i should modify it like this?

dns_update.cmd -srv 172.26.20.6 -srvtype windns -cmd add -fzone DOMAIN.com -rzone 172.26.20 -hostname newhost -ip "249" -toolspath "C:\pstools;172.26.20.6\Program Files\Support Tools" -skipmode test

0 Kudos
vKiller
Contributor
Contributor

My miss!! You can try dns_update.cmd -srv 172.26.20.6 -srvtype windns -cmd add -fzone DOMAIN.com -rzone 172.26.20 -hostname newhost -ip "249" -toolspath "C:\pstools;
172.26.20.6\Program Files\Support Tools" -skipmode test

This should work. In case you see "Path Not Found" after doing this, I would suggest to add this paths in your SRM server "Environment Variable -- PATH" too.

0 Kudos
Odurasler2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hmmm...still not working.

keep in mind that the DNS server IP in the command is in a "test bubble" within SRM which means that IP is not pingable by the SRM server. however, in a true disaster, that IP would be pingable.

thanks again for helping.

0 Kudos
vKiller
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure whether you are ok trying out putting the buble network to actual network when you map the recovery plan and try it out. Hopefully that gives you an idea whether this will work or not. But yes in actual "Run" it should work.

You can try out manually though in your SRM server.

0 Kudos