VMware Cloud Community
RhodderzDigi
Contributor
Contributor

Cant set networking for SRM Appliance 8.3

Good Afternoon,

We are trying to setup the SRM appliances however we can not appear to get the networking to work.

We have tried setting it statically through the ovf deploy and also manually via /opt/vmware/vami/vami_config_net with 0 success

Via vami_config_net we dont get the prompt to set the ip at all as shown by the screenshots. Also /etc/sysconfig/networks is empty like some other posts mentioned, however /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is not (thought no ifcfg-eth0). I did also try manually creating that in network-scripts but still didnt appear to work.

I can also confirm the IP we are trying to use is not in use.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RhodderzDigi
Contributor
Contributor

I decided to check through what other scripts where present in /vami and found that using the ./vami_set_network eth0 STATICV4 <IP> <NETMASK> <GATEWAY>
Has not only applied the config but i can now ping out.

I also noticed it also through an error with killall not found, these scripts just ported over and not tested?

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi @RhodderzDigi ,

Network properties should get captured during deployment. If there were issues during deployment, these properties are not properly populated. I would not recommend using vami_conifg_net utility for initial deployment.

1. What is the version and build of vCenter server ?

2. If there are issues during deployment, these will reported during boot

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@RhodderzDigi 

Moderator: Moved to SRM Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RhodderzDigi
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning,

The version of vCenter is 7.0.1 Build 17005016

The only error that i saw on boot was "There is no network configured", during the dmesg there where no errors. Also if this was just an error caused by the deployment process then i would of expected vami_config_net to work which is what the appliance tells you to run.

I did also try redownloading the 8.3.1 iso just in case there was some bizzare corruption and still had the same result.

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@RhodderzDigi ,,

Thank you for sharing these details

As far as vCenter compatibility is concerned, it looks good. It does look like some kind of issue these versions.

/var/log/vmware directory would have drconfig logs and might report some errors. I would suggest raising a support request and getting it investigated

0 Kudos
vishy3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SSH to appliance goto /etc/systemd/network

Check if the file 10-eth0.network exist

Update the correct network details and save the file

Run sudo chmod 644 10.eth0.network

Run sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd

Run sudo systemctl status systemd-networkd

0 Kudos