VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you connect to a lUN after running a test of SRM with RecoverPoint

Occasionally when I run a test of the Recovery plan it does not connect to one of my LUN's in a consistency group from RecoverPoint.  Is there a way I can connect to the LUN while still running the same test?  The same would be true if I would failover, can I connect to a LUN that did not map for some reason after I run the recovery plan to get the VM's online.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you should really raise an SR to see why the lun is not being mapped. is the lun a vmfs datastore or an RDM?

common causes (assuming here ALL luns are in the same RP consistency group):

- device not picked up by rescan, fix for this is to increment the SRM setting to run >1 rescan during the prepare storage step (see SRM advanced settings)

- datastore not picked up by vmfs refresh (SRM has timeout on VMFS refresh that can be increased)

- datastore not zoned correctly to ALL hosts, look to see if some hosts have access and not others....that is usually a sign your issue is one of the first two points and this is obvious to see in the SRM logs hence you should engage vmware support.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am not familiar with RecoverPoint technology. Does it create snapshot of a LUN during recovery plan test?

If yes, then you may manually present that snapshot to ESX hosts and register the VMs.

Michael,

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

you should really raise an SR to see why the lun is not being mapped. is the lun a vmfs datastore or an RDM?

common causes (assuming here ALL luns are in the same RP consistency group):

- device not picked up by rescan, fix for this is to increment the SRM setting to run >1 rescan during the prepare storage step (see SRM advanced settings)

- datastore not picked up by vmfs refresh (SRM has timeout on VMFS refresh that can be increased)

- datastore not zoned correctly to ALL hosts, look to see if some hosts have access and not others....that is usually a sign your issue is one of the first two points and this is obvious to see in the SRM logs hence you should engage vmware support.

0 Kudos
TimOudin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As a follow up to Lee, I typically needed to modify the rescan value and 2 was usually sufficient.  Even in case of failure to mount, you should be able to pick up the device with a manual rescan but that doesn't help your Recovery Plan run effectively.

After checking zoning/masking and Consistency Group configuration go with the recommendation to increase scan count and refresh timeout.  Solid advice there and has always resolved datastore mount errors for me with RecoverPoint.

Cheers

Tim Oudin
0 Kudos