VMware Cloud Community
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can SRM 5.1.2 run on Windows 2012 R2?

I can't seem to find any documentation that clearly states whether or not SRM can run on Windows 2012 R2.  There are many implications that 2012 is supported, but never clearly states R2 is included, and there is no SRM --> Guest OS compatibility matrix. Can anyone point me to a document that clearly states that 5.1.2 can be installed on Windows 2012 R2?

Also, my vCenter servers is only at 5.1 U1c, and is running on Windows 2008 R2.  Someone brought up a concern that vCenter and SRM< should run on the same guest OS, but I do not see why this would be the case.  Can anyone confirm this?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

The SRM 5.x is compatible with the same Host OS as vCenter 5.x: see Compatibility Matrixes for vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.1 where this is stated: "SRM Server 5.1.x runs on the same Windows host operating systems as vCenter Server." Once you go to the compatibility matrix for vCenter and Host OS: VMware Compatibility Guide: Guest/Host Search you will see that Windows 2012 R2 is supported with vCenter 5.1 U2 and therefore SRM 5.1 U2.

There is no requirement that vCenter and SRM run on the same Host OS.

Also, by Host OS VMware documentation refers to the OS where our products are run. It can be virtualized, but from SRM server perspective it is hosting it. By Guest OS, we are referring to OS running in a VM where our products interact with it externally - e.g. when SRM performs IP Customization on a VM, the OS inside the VM is a Guest OS.

Best regards

Stefan Tsonev

Director - VMware Site Recovery Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

The SRM 5.x is compatible with the same Host OS as vCenter 5.x: see Compatibility Matrixes for vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.1 where this is stated: "SRM Server 5.1.x runs on the same Windows host operating systems as vCenter Server." Once you go to the compatibility matrix for vCenter and Host OS: VMware Compatibility Guide: Guest/Host Search you will see that Windows 2012 R2 is supported with vCenter 5.1 U2 and therefore SRM 5.1 U2.

There is no requirement that vCenter and SRM run on the same Host OS.

Also, by Host OS VMware documentation refers to the OS where our products are run. It can be virtualized, but from SRM server perspective it is hosting it. By Guest OS, we are referring to OS running in a VM where our products interact with it externally - e.g. when SRM performs IP Customization on a VM, the OS inside the VM is a Guest OS.

Best regards

Stefan Tsonev

0 Kudos
greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

- If I am running on ESX 5.1 U1c, which does NOT support Windows 2012 R2 for vCenter, then I cannot run SRM 5.1.2 on Windows 2012 R2.

- If I am running on ESX 5.1 U2 or later, which does support Windows 2012 R2 for vCenter, then I can run SRM 5.1.2 on Windows 2012 R2, even if vCenter itself is on Windows 2008 (or any other OS).

Are these correct statement?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful https://communities.vmware.com/people/greco827/blog
0 Kudos
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, your statements are correct.

If you are running SRM and/or vCenter on Windows 2012 in a VM on ESX 5.1 U1 you are in a non-supported configuration. So, yes, you need to first upgrade ESXi to 5.1 U2 in order to run Windows 2012.

After that you can run vCenter and/or SRM on Windows 2012. SRM also supports VCSA (vCenter Server Appliance) which is Linux-based version of vCenter.

Also, you are not required to upgrade all your ESXi hosts to U2 (but we recommend it). You need to only upgrade those hosts that are going to run Windows 2012 VMs.

Best Regards

Stefan Tsonev

greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

And this is still applicable if SRM is on a separate server than vCenter?  I assume that this practice is based on the assumption that vCenter and SRM will be on the same VM.  Is it best practice to have vCenter and SRM on separate VM's, or on the same VM?

0 Kudos
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMware recommends that in production SRM and vCenter are run on separate VMs. Running both in the same VM is better suited for Proof of Concept deployments.

Best Regards

Stefan Tsonev

greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Stefan, I very much appreciate all of your responses very much.  I have one final question.  If it is recommended that they run on separate VM's, why do vCenter and SRM have the same OS requirements as each other?  I'm just trying to understand if this is for simplicity and consistency, or if there is an actual technical reason?

0 Kudos
basher
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

We are trying to be consistent. We've heard from customers that when products like vCenter and SRM have different compatibility matrices, it creates a lot of confusion. It prevents customers from "standardizing" on certain OS, a feat that reduces operational hurdles (and saves money). What we wanted to be able to say - with 5.1 U2 (for ESXi, vCenter and SRM) Windows 2012 is supported. And by "supported" we mean "tested".

Please note that SRM will refuse to install on an unsupported OS - again not because of technical reasons, but because the installer knows it's not been tested in this configuration and if there are indeed problems, customers could not easily get help.

Hope this answers your question

Stefan

greco827
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Thank you again for all your responses.  They have been very helpful.

0 Kudos