VMware Cloud Community
MarcusFoelling
Contributor
Contributor

Bug in SRM 5.8 related to count of PortGroups within a dvSwitch while configuring of Network Mappings

Hi All,

I found a bug in SRM 5.8 build 2056894 which was confirmed by VMware Support today.

If you configure more than 18+1 PortGroups (VM PortGroups + Uplink PortGroup) SRM is not able to enumerate the PortGroups,

instead of allowing you to configure a mapping - you see only a placeholder named 'Portgroups'.

So you can't configure a proper Network Mapping.

Regards,

Marcus

VCP - VCI CCA - CCEA - CCIA - CCI
7 Replies
pdab
Contributor
Contributor

I also ran into exactly same issue yesterday. In my case there's 36 ports on dvs and those ports also cannot be enumerated in 'network mappings' of SRM. Creating new test dvs switch with 1+1 portgroups allows srm enumeration to succeed.

Have a case open with VMware and confirmed as bug but there's no release date for the fix.

In my case I'm not going to wait until the fix is released but start with 5.5 and upgrade to 5.8 when it becomes more mature.

PD

0 Kudos
Zarathustra82
Contributor
Contributor

I've opened a case with VMware two weeks ago about this issue. At that moment they weren't aware of the problem and I still have no updates on a fix. This makes you think about the quality checks put into the web client before new releases.

Why would you remove a fully working plugin from the thick client when you cannot even test it properly before release? I'm increasingly infuriated with the quality of the web client. I know I'm not the only one, but for goodness sake: test basic functionality before releasing a GA version, guys!

0 Kudos
veltenm
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here. How to fix this?

0 Kudos
peterdabr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I had case opened with VMware and confirmed that this is the issue that they don't have workaround for it atm. Support reached out to engineering team and the fix supposedly will be rolled into new patch release for SRM 5.8 but no release date had been provided.

In my case, I went for 5.5 installation with the intention to upgrade to 5.8 when its more mature.

PD

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here's the KB article -> VMware KB: When configuring Network Mappings within VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager using the v...

I'd recommending subscribing to that so you are notified when it is updated with details of the fix. The KB does list some workarounds that may or may not work in your environments. As this is a UI issue I also think configuring network mappings via the VCO workflows we added in 5.8 would also work as that uses the external APIs directly.

0 Kudos
Zarathustra82
Contributor
Contributor

I've worked around the issue by using the workflow in vCO. Then again, not all of us have the luxury of deploying the appliance, configure it properly and use the workflow. It's not as trivial as some might want to think. It would be nice if that KB would provide the workaround of using the vCO. A powercli script wouldn't hurt either (if at all possible).

It's been already over a month since this has been reported to VMware. A bug of this scale should have been fixed by now, especially when it's a GA version we are talking about.

0 Kudos
settlersoman
Contributor
Contributor

the express patch has been released:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209608...

the problem has been solved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful. blog: http://www.settlersoman.com twitter: settlersoman