VMware Cloud Community
jfernandez192
Contributor
Contributor

Best practices regarding replication of protected site vsphere database to recovery site?

All,

The question at hand is do we failover a production sql server that requires protection through SRM 5.1, but houses the current protected site vsphere database. Will we have issues if the sql server fails over with the vsphere database, as the recovery site has it's own vsphere database? Or does it not matter as the recovery site vm's are registered to a different sql server?

Please let me know if you require any more details, as I will provide whatever is necessary

Regards,

Jon

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Bucketenator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Normally you would not want (or need) to replicate the protected site VC database as it's of no use at the DR site, but if you are there's no harm in doing so (you incur additional unnecessary replication traffic of course). 

As you say, since the vSphere infrastructure at the recovery site has it's own VC & associated database SRM failover will still work just fine.

JD

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I would highly recommend to put vCenter and SRM databases (as well as applications) on separate non protected servers.

Although it is not required that protected site's vCenter and SRM be available in order to perform failover (disaster recovery mode), planned migration mode will not be possible (since it does require vCenter / SRM availability).

AFAIK this also will affect SRM tests.

Michael.

0 Kudos