VMware Cloud Community
Virtugirl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Batch IP Issue

Ive got an issue with the Batch Ip Customizer tool.

All of my VM's have 2 nics - one nic is on one network with a default gateway and another Nic on a management network with no default gateway. I want to change the IP, Mask and DG for the first nic and only the IP and Mask for the second. If I dont put a default gateway in the csv file for the second Nic my failover test fails. If I put one in it applies the network changes perfectly. Do I have to have a DG in, or can I trick SRM somehow into allowing the csv file to have maybe a blank entry ??? I tried 0.0.0.0 but SRM complained on the recreate command. Windows doesnt like the 2 default gateways on 2 seperate nics, so Im a little surprised that this is a pre req for the batch IP customization tool to work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PeterVG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm having the same problem here. Here, the second NIC is also without gateway and used to make backups. The way I configured it now is to use dhcp on the second (backup) NIC, allthough there is no DHCP available on that network in the remote site.

The reasoning behind this is that if we have to do a real failover (after a disaster) we will not really be concerned by having backups working again from day 1. So the plan is to manually reconfigure the backup NIC afterwards.

Off course if we can leave out the default gateway then we can populate the second NIC with the correct IP on the remote site, that would obviously be the best option ...

Hopefull VMware corrects this soon !

Peter

0 Kudos