VMware Cloud Community
Dany54000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Basic questions for SRM installation

Hello

I have downloaded SRM on my computer but I cannot run it directly on the OS.

So I'd like to know if SRM 5.8 have to be installed into an another products (example: Hypervisor + VCenter) ?

Or if I can launch SRM 5.8 can be directly launched on my computer's OS (Windows 7).

Sorry for this (studpid) question and many thanks for your reply.

Dany

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

SRM cannot be installed on Windows 7. For the list of supported Operating Systems please refer to the KB:

Supported host operating systems for VMware vCenter Server installation (including vCenter Update Ma...

Site Recovery Manager Server 5.8.0 runs on the same Windows host operating systems as vCenter Server 5.5u2.

Michael.

Dany54000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Many thanks for your reply Michael

I have tried to launch the VMware-srm-5.8.0 on a "Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2 64-bit" (from a virtual machine - VMware Workstation) and I am still experiencing the same error msg : "Operating System doesn't suppport VMware vCenter SRM".

Anyway I guess that it is still possible to launch an other version of SRM and I would like to get used to the interface screen.

Also I would like to create a VMware domain (within the same LAN) at my home place.

Within this domain I would like to have a Vsphere + 2 Esxi + Vcenter + VCenter SRM

1. How many Virtual Machines do I need to create ?

2. What will be the role of each VM ?

Thank you for your help.

Dany

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander

Hi,

2012R2 is supported with SRM 5.8, so it is strange that you get such error message.

SRM 5.8 works with Web Client, so its interfaces quite differ from older versions.

Regarding the Lab setup, you can find number of good articles in google, simply look for "VMware SRM home lab".

My points:

1. vCenter cannot be installed on Domain Controller.- 1 server to Run DC

2. You need 2 instances of SRM and vCenter (to simulate protected and recovery site) - 2 servers (SRM and vCenter can be installed on the same server)

3. You need minimum of one ESXi server at each site - 2 servers

3. To make SRM fully functional, you need some kind of storage simulator or vSphere Replication - 2 servers

Michael.

0 Kudos
piedthepiper
Contributor
Contributor

I run SRM on windows server 2008 r2 VM on one site and on the other I run it on the same VM as vcenter which is also server 2008r2

I use netapp ontap simulator for array based replication and vsphere replication for everything else

0 Kudos
Dany54000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for the late reply guys and thank you for your answers !!

I'm about to start a new job, please give me a moment before coming back.

Regards,

Dany

0 Kudos
kshukla
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are planning to implement SRM in our company. We have two separate Sites with vCenter Server but are not connecting to each other.

Can I install SRM on both vCenter Servers?

0 Kudos
jordanovi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi kshukla

Yes, you can and actually it's required to have 2 vCenter Servers to install SRM on both sites (1 VC + 1 SRM on the Protection site, 1 VC + 1 SRM on the Recovery site). If we're still talking about SRM 5.8, it requires vCenter Server 5.5 U2. SRM requires Windows Server 64-bit OS.. If your VC is installed on Windows server, SRM could be (but not recommended) installed on the same machine where you have the VC installed (same VM).

Hope this helps

Ivan

0 Kudos
kshukla
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Both VC are connected to different active directory domain and managing different Datacenters. Is it still possible to run SRM between them?

Secondly, I would like to setup replication for vCloud director VMs.

Both sites have vCloud Director 5.5.

Site A:

VC name = cavsphere.abc.com as VM vCenter 5.5 U2

Site B:

VC name = njvsphere.xyz.com as VM. vCenter 5.5 U2

Both sites have Netapp FAS3220 FC SAN , Dell Intel Server of Four nodes cluster.

I would appreciate your help.

Kumar

0 Kudos
jordanovi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Kumar

Yes, it is possible to run SRM between your sites. Suppose you want to use Credential-based authentication. You can check more details in SRM 5.8 Authentication

Regarding the vCloud Director, you can replicate the VMs (vSphere Replication technology per VM or Array-based replication at SAN level per LUN. However, please note there is no integration of SRM with vCloud Director.

Regards

Ivan

0 Kudos