VMware Cloud Community
Alvid
Contributor
Contributor

Array-based replication within single site

Good day everyone! I have a single site with single cluster with iSCSI attached storage. Storage presented to all of hosts and have a single datastore for all of VMs. Can I have one more NAS (same or bigger than primary) to obtain fault tolerance from APD or PDL of primary storage? How to configure that? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Which storage system do you use? 

0 Kudos
Alvid
Contributor
Contributor

DELL ME5024

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

You would probably need to set up the storage side of things first? Dell has a document about that here:

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/powervault-me5024/me5_series_ag/replication-process?guid=...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
Alvid
Contributor
Contributor

Many thnx for anwers, but its all about site-to-site replication, not for single site. The one possible option for this, as I see, is to replicate volume from one storage to another and if failover occurs mount this replica to hosts, with unmounting of primary storage. But its a long process...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

yes, that is typically what SRM is used for. SRM requires a dual vCenter setup, which don't need to be in different sites, but they typically would be. You could also just use replication or snapshotting without SRM by the way. But it would mean you would need to manually recover after a failure, which can be difficult if you don't understand the full process.

0 Kudos
CallistoJag
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It would not be FT as there would be downtime, but yes you can use this as a HA setup for one site. Ideally you could have storage replication setup between devices at the storage level. Restore would require adding machines back to vCenter and starting them. You could use SRM, but this would be very expensive for one site and only an option if you need very rapid restore.
0 Kudos