VMware Cloud Community
ussthamm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Are there SRM limits? Not maximums, limits.

A VAR told one of my coworkers that you have to have at least two hosts at the protected site location in order for SRM to work.  I didn't hear his argument and my worker didn't agree with him either.

I've dug around some and have really seen any minimums.

Can I have a single host at a remote location and SRM back to my datacenter?

An answer and any vmware documented proof would be nice.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, no problem with single host.

FYI, SRM powers on simultaneously two VMs per host, so your failover / test might take some time.

Michael.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - he might have been referencing that you will need a vCenter server, with SRM installed and an ESXi host - except that the vCenter server can be virtualized and running on the single ESXi host but as you can see if that ESXi host is down you will not be able to fail over to te DR site

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It should work, but as weinstein mentioned you need a VC.

weinstein - the single host is on the protected (primary) site. So there should be no problems running recoveries if that host (and thus the primary SRM) is down.

ussthamm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply.

I understand I need a vCenter server with SQL and an SRM Server on both ends.

I guess what I'm asking or saying is there are 3 different types of DR situations:

1.  Hey, there's a hurricane coming to Houston, we better do a planned failover.

2.  OMG, the server closet in Houston just burned down.

3.  Let's test DR this quarter!

Assuming I have 1 Host containing all the VMs necessary to pull off SRM in Houston, everything should be ok. Correct?

I don't need 2 Hosts in Houston for some reason I don't know about, do I?

0 Kudos
mal_michael
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, no problem with single host.

FYI, SRM powers on simultaneously two VMs per host, so your failover / test might take some time.

Michael.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

good point - I was focusing on the recovery site with a single host could be an issue if it were down -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos