VMware Cloud Community
MikeErter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding EMC SRDF Adapter for VMware SRM fails

Hi Community,

We have DMX storage in the protected site and recovery site. We're trying to setup the array manager for SRM.

Adding the array manager is failing with the error below; hoping someone has sorted this out and can offer some guideance.  Thanks!

Add Array Manager

Unable to add array manager.

SRA command 'discoverArrays' failed. Failed to connect to the array management host.
Please check EmcSrdfSra logs for more information on the error.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We have just added a new Knowledgebase article: Adding EMC SRDF Adapter fails when trying to add the Array Manager (2041557)

Hopefully this captures everything pertinent to this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This is the exact error that I am getting,  so I am going to hijack your post Smiley Happy

in My case we have two DMX-4  we are using SRM 5.0 ad the latest EMC SDRF SRA, and solution enabler 7.5 (32bit)

in my clients environment they have no SYMAPI servers that are at the required level so I am attempting to configure the 7.5 Solution enabler Virtual appliance to handle this role.

I am getting confused as I am not sure where the disconnect it. Is it at the SRM server end or the SYMAPI Virtual appliance.

When I am on the appliance I can see it can See the Arrays, however I do not know if they are configured correctly, so I cannot rule them out as the cause of the issue.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
BasRaayman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm assuming that you did have a look at the EmcSrdfSra log files as the error suggested. Does that show any errors in the actual array discovery process? Do you have a Solutions Enabler host set up, and what does a "symcfg disco" give as output?

0 Kudos
codyhosterman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It should be noted that the SRDF SRA version 5.1 no longer supports DMX arrays--VMAX only. If you are using DMX arrays you must remain with the SRDF SRA version 5.0.1.0.

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

you should read the following documents provided on Powerlink.

Using EMC SRDF Adapter for VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 4.1

Using EMC SRDF Adapter for VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.0

And without further info I would simply recommend to open a SR at EMC.

Regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
codyhosterman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'll be releasing the updated version of the techbook very shortly and it has a lot more information about configuring Solutions Enabler. All of the common things that seemed to trip people up earlier are better explained (hopefully) in the upcoming version.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Cody, I am only using SRM 5.0

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
codyhosterman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah but you said you were using the latest adapter which is the SRDF SRA version 5.1 which works with SRM 5 and 5.1. Which adapter version are you using?

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

there're some booby traps when using the SE vApp with SRM.

I.e., the Symapi Server on the SE vAPP is configured to allow secure connections only, therefor you have to add the user/host with the SRA's to the netcnfg file.

As I said, the configuration is a bit tricky, therfore I would also recommend to open a SR at EMC.

Regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Good point Cody,  for the sake of clarity  Smiley Happy

I am using EMCSRDFSRA_5.0.1.0  with the 7.5 SE (32bit) and the 7.5 vApp running SYMAPI

0 Kudos
codyhosterman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ah great thanks Smiley Happy I just wanted to make sure, to save you a lot of troubleshooting effort in case it was the 5.1 SRA.

If you can post the EmcSrdfSra log here I would be happy to look at it, otherwise (and probably in addition) I agree with Ralf that you should probably open an SR.

0 Kudos
codyhosterman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The error was:

Failed connection to SYMAPI server (192.168.160.127:2707). Error = The trusted host file disallowed a client server connection.

This error is due to the nethost file not being configured on the vApp. This can be resolved by logging onto the web interface of the vApp (https://hostname:5480) and adding in both the protected and recovery side servers FQDN or IP address with the user account that runs the SRM service. Alternatively an asterisk can be entered in for the user to allow all users from that host.

vapp_nethost.jpg

MikeErter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We have a call open with EMC, I'll post the fix when we have it.

0 Kudos
MikeErter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I was able to add the Array Managers for the DMXs

I was then able to enable the array pair w/o errors

What needed to be done in our environement was to install and configure Solutions Enable (SE) on the SRM servers themselves, then start (and set to autostart) a few SYMAPI deamons.

The commands I ran on both SRM servers were:

stordaemon install storapid –autostart

stordaemon install storsrvd –autostart
stordaemon install storrdfd –autostart
stordaemon start storsrvd
stordaemon start storrdfd
run stordaemon list to check that the three daemons are running. The output should look like:
[*] storapid              EMC Solutions Enabler Base Daemon
    storgnsd              EMC Solutions Enabler GNS Daemon
[*] storrdfd              EMC Solutions Enabler RDF Daemon
    storevntd             EMC Solutions Enabler Event Daemon
    storsrmd              EMC Solutions Enabler SRM Daemon
    storstpd              EMC Solutions Enabler STP Daemon
[*] storsrvd              EMC Solutions Enabler SYMAPI Server Daemon
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We have just added a new Knowledgebase article: Adding EMC SRDF Adapter fails when trying to add the Array Manager (2041557)

Hopefully this captures everything pertinent to this issue.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thanks Rick,  it was only a week late for me LOL

amitrathod
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Glad to know that the issue got resolved. However I wanted to know the configuration before when you hit the problem. i.e. whether the Solutions Enable(SE) was on a remote server other than SRM. I wanted to make sure that the KB Article which is written captures the scenario when the issue occurred. Also was the recommendation to install and configure SE on SRM Servers given by EMC?

Regards,

Amit

0 Kudos
SunnyA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello All,

We are configuring SRM 6.o for the first time. We also facing the same issue and followed above steps given in KB article but still facing issue in adding Array manager.

Error : SRA command "discoverArray failed".

Also nothing is visible in EmcSrdSra logs

Request to help here urgently.

0 Kudos