VMware Cloud Community
PeterVG
Contributor
Contributor

Add Array Manager fails with Symmetrix SRA

Hi all,

I'm having a bizarre problem with the EMC Symmetrix SRA.

I've installed Solutions Enabler Software 6.5.20 and I have an SRM server that sees local Gatekeeper devices.

Accoring to documentation I need to enter "local" in the SymAPI Server field of the Add Array Manager Window.

Since it is seeing the storage array via local Gatekeeper devices, this is all I should do normally.

When clicking "Connect" I'm getting the error: Failed to launch SAN integration scripts to execute discoverArrays command.

Anybody ?

Peter

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Pretty sure you just need solutions enabler installed in each SRM server alongside the SRA.....thats what your missing.

just out of interest other common mistakes on the DMX are:

• incorrect flags set on the DMX FA ports ESX hosts are connected too. SPC-2 and SC3 are commonly not set and they need to be.

• in the DMX all devices (presented to ESX for SRM use) have to be dynamic RDF capable for SRM to work. The DMX has to be enabled for dynamic RDF before the devices are converted to dynamic RDF. This is done with the symconfigure command, "set symmetrix dynamic_rdf = enable;"

• in solutions enabler check the correct licenses are installed.

• BASE

• SERVER (to allow it to be an API-SERVER)

• SRDFA (to allow it to manipulate SRDF/A RDF groups)

• SRDF (to allow it to manipulate RDF devices)

• TimeFinder (to allow it to use TimeFinder/Mirror)

and/or

• TimeFinder/Clone (to allow it to use TimeFinder/Clone) - This is also required to issue a BCV split command if the BCV devices are RAID-5 (versus RAID-1). If the ESX host is acting as the symapi server (does not sound like it is in your case) verify that the license file exists at: /var/symapi/config/symapi_licenses.dat Remember to restart the storsrvd daemon for the new licenses to take effect!

It sounds like you will be using the SRA + symapi in "local" mode so you must use Solutions Enabler 6.5 or later, usual steps are below but also consult EMC guide:

1. Install Solutions Enabler for Windows on the API-Client (i.e. the SRM server), launch the install executable. Accept all defaults. Use Typical Install. Do select any additional Stordaemon services.

2. Configure Solutions Enabler API-Client:

Edit file: c:\program files\emc\SYMAPI\config\netcnfg Add a line at the bottom of this file:

SYMAPI_SERVER - TCPIP <API servername> <IP> 2707 SECURE Add a path for the SYMCLI bin location:

3. Go to My Computer - Properties - Environmental Variables - System Variables - Select PATH - Edit Append the following to the existing path (add a semi-colon at the end of the existing path, then add the following path):

c:\program files\emc\SYMCLI\bin\

4. Set System environment variables:

Go to My Computer - Properties - Environmental Variables - System Variables - New

add: SYMCLI_CONNECT=SYMAPI_SERVER

add: SYMCLI_CONNECT_TYPE=REMOTE

*Remember to reboot the Windows host for the environmental variables to take effect.

*After reboot, at the command prompt, type 'set' to list the environment variables.

NOTE: SRA should set this also.

hope this helps,

Lee

PS: also see EMC implementation guide: http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardware/technical-documentation/h5767-vmware-srm-symmetrix-dmx-series...

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

I had a similar problem and for me it only worked when I entered the service name that you provide in the netcnfg file.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
PeterVG
Contributor
Contributor

Adding the installation Path to the Path Variable + adding the system variable: SYMCLI_CONNECT_TYPE=LOCAL is all I did & it works now (after a reboot) Smiley Happy

I still have a small issue though, I have an active/active SRM setup, I now see the replicated VMware LUN's from SiteA to SiteB but the replicated LUN's from SiteB to SiteA do not show after completing the "Add Recovery Array" on SiteB allthough the SRDF setup is identical.

All the other prereqs that Lee (Smoggy) listed are OK though ..

I'm going to troubleshoot this now...;\

I'll keep you guys posted !

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Peter,

so issue is:

"but the replicated LUN's

from SiteB to SiteA do not show after completing the "Add Recovery

Array" on SiteB allthough the SRDF setup is identical."

obviously the SRM logs at SiteA will hold the answer here. but I guess a basic check list would be:

1. checky DMX FA port flags set correctly on ports exposing the R2's to ESX hosts at SiteA, if the ports are same ones used already for the R1's at siteA then this should be ok but worth checking. Ensure that SPC-2 and SC3 are set on ALL ports exposed to the ESX SiteA hosts your using here. Logs will show us if that is not the case as the lunid's will not be long enough...and will be missing the id section that SPC-2adds

2. obviously when you configure array manager at SiteB make sure the protected array is the DMX at SiteB......when you configured this from the other side obviously the relationship was reversed.....i know you'll have done this right but I had to add it....i'm like that Smiley Happy

3. for the VMFS volumes that are replicated from SiteB to SiteA make sure there are VM's in them otherwise you'll see nothing in SRM.

4. check that the SRDF devices going from SiteB to SiteA are definitely configured correctly, dynamic, correct device group configs etc etc...

that should be the basics, again after you've re-scanned the arrays at both sides from the ESX level your storage view should be current so when your in the Array Config screens in SRM at SiteB you should now be seeing the R1/R2 VMFS datastores via the gatekeepers...if your still not then its definitely logs time to see whats up.

best regards,

Lee Dilworth

0 Kudos
PeterVG
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Hi all,

just a quick follow up on my last post/problem.

So, the problem was that from SiteB to SiteA the EMC SRA wouldn't detect any replicated LUN's ...

It seems the issue was that the SRDF link of the replicated LUN from B to A was Not OK. I worked withour storage team to correct this but after that got resolved, all was OK ! (I had to restart SRM though...)

So all problems are resolved now Smiley Happy

We are currently using TimeFinder/Mirror for testing purposes, does anybody know if TimeFinder/Snap also works for testing RP's ?

Peter

0 Kudos
Smoggy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi peter, current srdf sra suppors TF Mirror or Clone only (as well as bcv).

UPDATE: latest emc sra for srdf (27 March 2009) states TF snaps ARE now supported if you download and install that latest version of the sra.

Cheers

Lee

0 Kudos