VMware Cloud Community
EBetts
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSphere 5.1 Common Criteria Security Certification update

VMware vSphere 5.1 Common Criteria Security Certification at @ EAL2+ has achieved the "In-Evaluaiton" listing milestone.  This demonstrates VMware's continued commitment to security and compliance.

CSEC Products in Evaluation List:

(Scroll to end of list for VMware.  Products are listing in alphabetical order by company name)

http://www.cse-cst.gc.ca/its-sti/services/cc/oe-pece-eng.html

vCNS 5.1.2 and tc Server 2.8.2 are also on the "Products In Evaluation" list.

VMware's Security Certifications and Validations web will be updated to include vSphere 5.1 next week.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
mnorthamsky
Contributor
Contributor

Eric, is there a reason it is at EAL 2+ this time and not 4+ like v5.0 was please?

0 Kudos
sfolsson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eric,

I too would be interested in the reasons for the drop in assurance level for vSphere 5.1 compared with evaluations of earlier versions. Although it appears there is a continuing commitment to submit VMware products to independent security evaluation, this update should reasonably raise a few suspicions.

It is not as if the use of other vCloud Suite products obviates many needs for security in the core vSphere components, and it is not the case that they are more mature VMware products per se.

As VMware has been able to satisfy security evaluators a number of times in the past of the methods it uses to develop and test previous major releases of vSphere, it is difficult to appreciate how the currently-used methods would differ and preclude certification at EAL4.

Certainly there has been a pattern of maintenance of certification for minor (.1) releases, so it can be appreciated how re-evaluation of 5.1 may have required a greater commitment from VMware than, say, 4.1. But then again, two other products have been submitted for evaluation including one at EAL4.

Is it the Single Sign On component in vSphere 5.1 that made re-evaluation a practical requirement? And is it the yearly release cadence that has made EAL4 certification unreasonable?

I'm speculating, and perhaps unfairly. Whatever the reason, I recall very little explanation of the approach.

You might well imagine the head-scratching that could follow from the inconsistent leveling, including when a designer is trying to understand assumptions and assurances when considering a mix of the products mentioned here. And let's not forget those in procurement or operations roles who may become uncertain about the risks of  implementing or upgrading to the current version.

Until the security target documentation is published, implementers and users won't really know if the security of vSphere 5.1 is weaker, in an important way to their own uses, than 5.0. Surely if the commitment to security (and compliance) is unwavering then reassuring the public and users about security in vSphere 5.1 would assuage any unreasonable speculation and fear? Particularly after the unfortunate publication of leaked kernel code in recent months, and the response to that.

Perhaps some of the parts of the vCNS Target of Evaluation will relate to similar functionality in the current vSphere ToEs (say, virtual networking)? If so, more users may be inclined to deploy and use, for example, vShield Edge. But, I suspect, many would also be circumspect while details - and particularly certification details - are not public or predictable.

And perhaps more importantly, patching...

I would also expect that lifecycle processes are in place for vSphere 5.1 so that users are advised of, and given fixes and mitigations for, security vulnerabilities reported in that product.

Should vSphere users be more concerned about vulnerabilities and patches now than when vSphere 5.0 was certified?

I hope that VMware would meet the flaw remediation security assurance requirement, and that it is included in the evaluation augmentations that VMware is submitting vSphere 5.1 to, as part of the stated commitment.

VMware's clear and established Security Response Policy is suggestive of the highest assurance level of that requirement (i.e. ALC_FLR.3). I would hope that VMware would be aiming to catch-up and achieve the same evaluated level for this SAR as competitive, certified hypervisor products already have. It would be a shame to see VMware set its sights any lower than the current ALC_FLR.2.

I would hope that you, or one of your colleagues, could provide a further explanation relating to this update.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mnorthamsky
Contributor
Contributor

Agree here. I understand that NIAP is moving away from EAL levels with Security Targets and more to a Protection Profile based assesment BUT..... on the NIAP webpage the PP for virtualisation is only due out in Q3 2013 it says and with vCNS still listed as going for EAL4+ it is creating confusion.

I would would really help if Eric you could put a blog together explaining the differences and changes and thus the rationale behind the vCNS and vSphere submissions.

Matt

0 Kudos
sfolsson
Contributor
Contributor

Well that makes two of us Matt.

I sometimes wonder how many users care about the certification details and how many are just happy to see that a product achieves certification. Smiley Happy

Protection Profiles would make sense, particularly for areas of protection like the VM resource and fault isolation. I'd expect to see the most repeated protections related to virtualisation applications would be implemented in the hypervisor / supervisor / monitor components. So maybe that's another reason vSphere 5.1 is going for EAL2+ and there is further work going into describing vSphere 6.0 in terms of the proposed PP?

Or maybe CCEVS will drop out of favour as the Software Defined Data Centre pushes the what and how of security certifications.

Some of VMware's certification strategy may be commercially sensitive, but if Eric was to put together what you've suggested then I'd certainly be very interested.

0 Kudos
ShawnPinetCGI
Contributor
Contributor

I'm a member of the lab that's certifying this product, so I'll spare Eric some work.

EAL4+ evaluations are not possible any more in any of the "5 eyes" jurisdictions as they have all moved away from them at the same time.   Canada (the home of the CCCS under which this is undergoing evaluation) will only accept evaluations that conform to a protection profile as listed by NIAP - see http://www.niap-ccevs.org/pp/ or at EAL2.   As there is no approved PP for this technology there is no way that it could have fallen under the "PP" route.

That means that this one will be done at EAL 2+ with an ST, which is the maximum assurance level possible.   NIAP's position is that it's extremely difficult to do an EAL4, certainly to do it properly and doesn't merrit the additional expenditure from the vendor's perspective.

As an aside, the assurance level has more to do with the evidence provided by VMware to the lab as opposed to the "security of this version".   Just becase someone may have looked at the source code for the EAL4 doesn't mean the EAL2 is less secure because there was no independant code review, there is simply less independant assurance.

One final note.  vCNS started more than 12 months ago when the EAL4 evaluations were still possible to start (and it was one of the last ones done by CCCS).   You won't see the vSphere 5.1 evaluation taking this long.

0 Kudos
sfolsson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the explanation Shawn.

While I knew there was a vision statement relating to CCRA last year, I wasn't aware that transitional arrangements had effectively come to an end.

With the drop from EAL4 to EAL2, the assurance users could expect to receive would fall mostly on product testing. Much of the evidence of security engineering and process-based assurance would go unevaluated, which I think does go to the security of version vSphere 5.1 (over 5.0) as a maintenance report isn't being used to address it.

Some of the changes between the last two vSphere Security Targets (say, some data protection moving between classes) have indicated potential testing differences, if not differences in security function implementations. The future use of one or more Protection Profiles for vSphere evaluations would likely reduce the importance of closely following STs between releases, however users may wish to make new assumptions about threats and protections after carefully considering the vSphere 5.1 ST until then.

Unfortunately there is a bit more work in securely using vSphere than certified Type 2 hypervisors as those other evaluations may reference a General Purpose Operating System PP. With a software ecosystem as large and detailed as VMware's is becoming, a single PP seems infeasible for vSphere let alone vCloud. That timing resulted in an inconsistent leveling for vCNS and vSphere (and tcServer) is understandable, but this update is still odd for not discussing composition assurance and packaging.

It is understandable that VMware would prioritise persuing evaluations that are most widely recognized and required. The reason for the drop from EAL4+ to EAL2+ is therefore quite clear, although not necessary.

With much of the burden of evidence-based evaluation lifted from VMware for CC certification, one would expect the continuing commitment to security and compliance to conspicuously appear elsewhere.

Do you know if the Flaw Remediation requirements of the Lifecycle Support Class will still form part of the mutual recognition arrangement for non-PP evaluations?

I'd suggest the discovery or introduction of security vulnerabilities - that were not publicly known or present at the time of evaluation - is of great practical importance to users. It would be of reassurance, I think, if your lab were to evaluate evidence of VMware's continued conformance to ALC_FLR.2. Likewise, I think it would be of great reassurance if VMware comitted to timely correction of flaws by submitting its processes to an evaluation of ALC_FLR.3.

- Shanon

0 Kudos
EBetts
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"VMware Common Criteria Update - 2013" blog went live today.

http://blogs.vmware.com/security/2013/04/vmware-common-criteria-update-april-2013.html

0 Kudos
sfolsson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Eric.

0 Kudos
fan_essa
Contributor
Contributor

hello! i would need an information about Common Criteria evaluation process....In the vSphere 5.0's Common criteria certification report is referred a guide called "VMware, Inc. vSphere 5.0 Documentation Supplement Guidance,

Version 0.2, May 3, 2012" that describes the procedures to install and operate vSphere 5.0 in its Evaluated configuration .. how you can get this guide?thank to all for the answer.

f.

0 Kudos
afian_virtual
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everybody,

I have a question related with this topic, acording with  the documentation, I am not sure if EAL 3+ is supported now a days, indeed my question is,  vmware support the EAL 3+ for vswitches???, could you please tell me something about it???

thanks kind regards.

0 Kudos