VMware Cloud Community
awali
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare Converter 3(security/firewall ports)

HI

I want to move one of my physical server to esx3.0 using the vmware converter 3 but the problem there are many firewalls between them. Also physical server have firewall on. I want know that what network ports needs to be opened for transfer from physical to vmware converter 3 and also for from vmware converter to esx 3.0.

Anyone have idea about that

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dfehse
Contributor
Contributor

thx to jsilver, but i can not access the link. Can you please paste that acticle into this topics

thx Daniel

0 Kudos
Ken_Cline
Champion
Champion

Here's the post jsilver pointed to:

Ken Cline VMware vExpert 2009 VMware Communities User Moderator Blogging at: http://KensVirtualReality.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
dfehse
Contributor
Contributor

Hi thx for the information, but sorry i don't understand that. I thought that the converter copys the files from the physical Maschine to the VC and from VC to ESX. Isn't that correct?

We have to following situation:

a) Service-Console LAN ESX-Server -> LAN1

b) Physical Maschines -> LAN2

c) VC is in the Management -> LAN3

Between all LANs is a Firewall, VC is configured on Port 905 the ESX-Servers on Port 902. There are Firewallrules that allow the VC to comunicate with the ESX-Server (Port 902 is open form VC into the LAN1

We installed the Converter on a VM an one of the ESX-Server that hast two NIC, one in LAN2 where the physical Maschines reside und one in the Management LAN. I can run trough the Migration Wizard until I can choose the datastore, and the it says "Unable to find the server". Port 902 form the Converter-Server to ESX is not open. So that means that the Converter directly communicates with the serviceconsole of the destination ESX? And why must the physical Maschine must communicate with the ESX-Server directly?

Our Environment is very secure and it is not easy to get a open port to the ESX-Servers Serviceconsole

Thx Daniel

0 Kudos