VMware Cloud Community
miveli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VLANs for Protected and Unprotected PG

I need some advice on how to VLAN up the Protected and Unprotected PG. I have followed the Admin guide and cannot find any information for this anywhere. We are hoping to use vSZ to isolate a QA enviornment completely from the rest of the network by assiging VLAN 45 to the network.

My environment is a 9 HP blade servers with 4 NIC's. NIC's 2 and 3 are configured ondvSwitch2 which has the Unprotected PG plus some other tagged PG's (7, 25). dvSwitch1 has the protected PG. Both VS PG's have the VLAN setting set to NONE.

I haven't even setup a Wall yet as cant ping any servers that are assigned to the Protected PG. The VS manager can see some other servers in the environment but they all appear as unprotected (red exclaimation point). As this is a new environment at our secondary site and it has no production servers running at the moment i can play around with things.

Does anyone have any advice?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are your physical switches configured to accept the vlans? also do you have any routing inplace for traffic to go from the vlan to the open segment?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MarkIveli
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah the pSwitches are configured for VLANs.

I have got it all sorted now. I found another post where they mentioned the vlaning requirements. So now i have U0 on VLAN45 connected to the dvUplinks , P0 on VLAN 45 on the second dvSwitch and a PG for the VM's that i want to protect also on the 45 VLAN.

I have ticks next the servers in the VM PG and i just tried a Wall rule to DENY RDP and it worked.

Appreciate your time and thoughts.

0 Kudos