VMware Cloud Community
Haunted
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

May we distribute VMWare Server to our customers?

Howdy -

My company maintains software packages on our customer's systems for system health checking, etc. We would like to install the free VMWare Server 1.0.4 software on some of our customer's machines. In particular, we want to install the free VMWare Server on customer's Windows boxes, so we can run a Linux virtual appliance on these winders boxes. It's the one you can get from http://www.vmware.com/download/server .

Are we within license rights to install VMWare Server on our customers systems? We'd like to avoid having to ask our customers to do this on our behalf.

Thanx in advance fo any pointers or advice!

- Steve

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the product is free, so you are not in violation of anything. However, if I were the customer and you were coming into my enviornment, I would absolutly want to know if you were planning on installing anything on any of my systems. If the customer is not willing/able to install the software for you. The next question would be to ask them if they don't have a problem with you installing it for them.

just my two cents.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

the product is free, so you are not in violation of anything. However, if I were the customer and you were coming into my enviornment, I would absolutly want to know if you were planning on installing anything on any of my systems. If the customer is not willing/able to install the software for you. The next question would be to ask them if they don't have a problem with you installing it for them.

just my two cents.

0 Kudos
Haunted
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanx Troy - that's what I hoped, but I thought it prudent to check. I appreciate the quick reply.

(FYI, the customer system we'd install on are systems the customer has contractually designated for our use to access their environment, and has granted us the right to install software there of our choice. But even so, the customer still has control over what is put there if they so elect, they get advance notification, etc etc)

0 Kudos
Charu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

NOTE: YOU CANNOT REDISTRIBUTE ANY VMWARE PRODUCT WITHOUT AN AGREEMENT IN PLACE.

Some situations are royalty-free and some are not. To request the right to redistribute VMware Server, please fill out the form on this page:

Haunted
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Charu. I have submitted the form.

What is the typical time to hear back on the submission? days? weeks? more?

- Steve

0 Kudos
Charu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't expect it will take more than 10 days. Please note that I'm not sure if your situation actually requires an agreement. When someone gets in touch with you, please explain carefully what exactly you are doing for your customer. It's possible that you don't fall under the category of redistribution. I just wanted to make sure that this was addressed.

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Can't you just help your customers and register bulk serial keys for VMware Player and load it one by one using their company name. It is FREE anyways right! I don't see any problems with licensing issue especially it designed for FREE. Just thinking.

Google: igeeksystems@gmail.com

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
Haunted
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanx for the idea - I hadn't thought of doing the serial number registration on their behalf but letting them get the kit themselves.

I'm staill waiting for a response to our redistributor form submission. If that's approved then it's the preferred way to go.

0 Kudos
aslezak
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just curious - did you have success with vmware's re-distribution policy? Can anyone else comment on their experience with the review process and/or response wait time? We just submitted an application as well to re-distribute vmware server and I am simply curious. Thank you.

0 Kudos