VMware Cloud Community
fabioenne
Contributor
Contributor

Accesso VMWARE - Cannot complete login for incorrect...

Hello everyone!

I'm new to apologize for ways or places.

I put your problem to you:

VMWARE 6.5 with Essential Kit License.

I can no longer access the vSphere Web interface from the server console with root password since yesterday.

The password was not altered by the client, the only problem I have been is that several attempts have been made (I do not know how accurate) the customer access to the interface.

Peeping around the internet I read that after tot. the server blocks access for a certain amount of time.

Looking at other my servers installed, I saw that the default parameters are set to:

SecurityAccountLockFailures = 5

Security.AccountUnlockTime = 900

Consider that the parameters are left as default, the individuals that have been made are:

-Installing vSphere

- Licensing

-Creative Virtual Machines;

-Configuration Autostart.

I would like to understand, then, if the waiting seconds go up whenever they are then approached?

If you can access somehow without root password, at least to unlock this time?

Has this situation ever happened to you?

thank you so much

Fabion

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You may want to run through: Unable to log in to the root account of vCenter Server Appliance (2069041) | VMware KB

This will allow you to reset the root password and lockout. After that you can modify the lockouts if needed.

0 Kudos
fabioenne
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

do not use vcenter server appliance.

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Managing ESXi without vCenter is rather difficult. I believe essentials has a license for vCenter. If not I would get it.

You may need to reinstall ESXi, but after you do so create some users so that the Administrator user is not used for administration. You should never use the root user for anything but break-glass. You should also apply RBAC. Even if you are the only admin, use a separate user to do administration. It is the best practice.

A reinstall of ESXi will not destroy your VMFS as long as you choose not to create a new VMFS. That is an important step.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos