VMware {code} Community
BurningKrome
Contributor
Contributor

Adding CIM Framework functionality or classes to VMWare

Thi is related to my other question about where to check the memory/hard drive usage through CIM/SMASH. I THINK this is not possible because VMWare did not implement/populate the classes required to do so. I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong about that 🙂

But if I'm right...then is it possible to add this functionality to the CIM framework? I have breifed through the CIM Development guide, and get the impression this can be done. However, being new to CIM and having a deadline...there are some things I'm hoping to learn before I invest too much time trying to learn the manual.

Remembering that I'M NOT A VENDOR...and only have access to the technology/firmware/SMART/ETC. already existing in my hardware...

- Can a new class be added to the CIM framework on ESXi? BRIEFLY...how? (I don't expect a whole tutorial 🙂

- Can an existing class be told to begin querying the hardware for the information if VMWare is not already doing this?

- Is this a function of VMWare, or the hardware agent (I.e. IBMs server agent for CIM)?

- If so, how ?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

You're posting in the wrong forum, this is for a custom vSphere Health Check script, not for CIM/SMASH. Try posting your question here http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/managementapi#CIM-SDK

Thanks

0 Kudos