VMware Communities
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

new forum, frequent logouts?

Anyone else having issues with the new forums logging you out after only a few hours?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to Platform Status, not related to Fusion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, this is a known issue.

Be careful to check before you write a reply as you might loose the reply on clicking on the post button (this is a test as I am actually not logged in while writing this, so "select all" -> copy -> post)

edit: this time it remembered my text, so it looks like that there is some improvement already.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

We set the logout from 30 minutes that was the platform default to max length of 2 hours, we will request a longer time from Khoros.

-eric

Community.... upload 1 .. download 10.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

An optional "remember me" box would make a lot of sense for regular users on their regular devices - even 2 hours isn't going to make much of a difference.

Thankfully my password manager app/plugin will do the lifting for me!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

On a call just now Khoros agree to set the time-out to something longer.  They were going to try to go do it right now,  for the moment, I requested 8 hours.  I think that seems like a reasonable time,  they tend to like to log people out in order to keep webserver open sessions to a reasonable number.

I'm curious what other sites do,  I remember in 2006,  I think it was days.  But not sure.

-eric

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

I think there is a remember me box would be also good.  Will look into that.

-eric

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can stay "logged in" to most websites for as long as my browser cookie for that site is happy - weeks if not months.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Exactly - they can close the session,  but keep the authentication token.  Thanks for pushing on this - as wila mentioned, it's really annoying that you can start to reply when not logged in, and then lose the text you've written when it prompts you to authenticate.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ericnipro 

Over the last 2-3 days, the site seems to have reverted to the original behaviour - I get a “Session expired” banner at the top of the screen even after a matter of hours, and have to login again.

I don’t think it’s anything at my end, as it happens when using Safari on my iPad and with Chrome on my MacBook.

Could you check and advise please?

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

I'm testing and will file a ticket, we left it at 8 hours,  but it very well could have been reset by Khoros for some reason, thanks for reporting.

-eric

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Eric,

Had to login 3 times today already (basically every time I looked at the forum).. it can't be at 8 hours as those 3 times was within several hours.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

.. and lost another reply due to this nice quick logout feature.

Can we get this fixed?

--
Wil

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

^%$@#%$#$ lost a 2000 word reply.. what a fine forum

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

@wila 
The ones who considered Jive as being aged, will find themselves in the stone age with the current forum state. 😉

André

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Wil,

At least you have clearly FOUND the forums to browse and reply to... I'm having difficulty even doing that BASIC, SIMPLE task that ANY support forum should have!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

André,

I remember that at one time Jive had a similar issue and it was so bad that I automatically before hitting reply I did hit <ctrl>+A <ctrl>+C every time..
This was around 2012 I think as it was when I was still living in Thailand.

Now here when this happens is because the system logs you out while writing the answer...
So you're not getting the redirection to the login and post anyways (which works reasonably well when you forget to login), but instead you're getting a "session expired notification" at the top of your screen after hitting reply. Super frustrating.

With the very long reply that I lost yesterday I had done a considerable amount of research while writing the reply. Aka it took a while to write it for more than one reason. I was so upset that I have not rewritten that reply yet.
So now I'm trying to retrain my monkey brain to "select all" + "copy" before hitting reply again.
It's silly that we even have to resort to that kind of thing.

It is also frustrating that there is virtually no feedback from anyone at VMware, so you don't know if they are looking into this or not.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Robert,

I don't visit all forums, but tend to focus on the desktop products and the moderator ones, which makes it a lot easier to navigate.

But I admit that I now hardly ever try to go to the main screen anymore where in Jive I would also monitor the vSphere forums and a few others.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@ericnipro 

Hi Eric,

2 weeks later and I'm not seeing any change - usually get a "session expired" message after about an hour or so.

Thankfully my password manager app/plugin helps me log me back in, but it's still annoying enough even with that.

Scott.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> With the very long reply that I lost yesterday I had done a considerable amount of research while writing the reply.
> Aka it took a while to write it for more than one reason. I was so upset that I have not rewritten that reply yet. 

Same here ... sometimes a well researched reply just takes way longer than just one hour.
Run into that a couple of times already ... and getting used to writing all answers inside a text-editor in preparation for a post in VMTN is trickier than expected.

Ulli

0 Kudos