VMware Communities
jennivmtn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMTN Community Upgrade to Khoros

Hi all, we've been working the past few days on having the new platform ready for you! While the platform is live, we realize there are still a few things that need to be updated/ worked on:

1. Khoros does not support user blogs, so they have been to documents (Technical Knowledge Base in Khoros terms). They are not quite in the right place, so we are getting that moved over.
  2. The sitemap does not work
  3. Google community landing page redirects are not working.

I will continue to post known issues here, but please feel free to add any in comments that you find or any future feature requests you would like to see. 

Jenni
VMTN Community Manager
28 Replies
Marc_Kupper
Contributor
Contributor

This upgrade also triggered an odd e-mail that gmail classified as spam. I spotted an "You earned the Kudos Received badge" in my spam folder. The e-mail looked suspicious because the links go to https://wbsdv95928.lithium.com/wbsdv95928/... and not vmware.com. I was also puzzled as I had not been active with VMWare related stuff for about ten years and was wondering as it seemed unlikely someone would kudo me for something I wrote over ten years ago. Thus while the spam seemed like a phish of some sort but did not delete it right away as it was an unusual phish if that was the intent. A few days later I dug up my VMWare communities password, it worked, and I learned about the upgrade to Khoros.

0 Kudos
Marc_Kupper
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, is Ctrl-V paste intentionally disabled for Khoros forums?  When writing my previous post I had to keep using right-click paste as Ctrl-V did not work.  Ctrl-C and X work but not V. I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.

The inability to paste may be related to (ctrl-v ... ok, right-click paste ...) https://community.khoros.com/t5/Khoros-Communities-Product/Including-Screenshots-in-Forums-Discussio... though that thread's focus is pasting images while I am using plain text.

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for this report, we have filed a bug,  it should be sending from vmware.com

I will reply with status on this one.

Eric

Community.... upload 1 .. download 10.
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Eric said:
"Thanks for this report, we have filed a bug, it should be sending from vmware.com"

Just as a FYI, I know that you are not replying to me.
However without reading the entire thread again I have no idea against who you are replying and I see no way to learn that except by reading every post in the thread (again) and then guess which one you replied to.

Am I overlooking something basic?
How can see what post somebody is replying to? There's several replies of you in this thread alone that I have no idea whom your reply is for.
Threaded mode doesn't work, or I would use that.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Copy Past in windows with Firefox is working for me.  I'm on Windows 10, with Firefox. Odd.

-eric

The inability to paste may be related to (ctrl-v ... ok, right-click paste ...) https://community.khoros.com/t5/Khoros-Communities-Product/Including-Screenshots-in-Forums-Discussio... though that thread's focus is pasting images while I am using plain text.

The inability to paste may be related to (ctrl-v ... ok, right-click paste ...)
Community.... upload 1 .. download 10.
0 Kudos
wilva
Contributor
Contributor

testing ..

(logged in as a normal user)

yes, copy-paste works here as well (win10 - firefox latest)

--
Wil

0 Kudos
Marc_Kupper
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for testing Ctrl-V paste. It still does not work for me, including when with Firefox is in safe mode meaning add-ons are running. I tried both the left and right Ctrl keys. Ctrl-V works fine using Chrome, Edge, and Edge Legacy.

I'm using Firefox 82.0.3 (64-bit) on Windows 10 version 1909 or 10.0.18363.1198 both of which are the most recent builds. I know that's the November 2019 track of  Windows 10 but I've always skipped the May tracks.

When I do Ctrl-V the cursor blink changes for a moment meaning something is happening.

I tried another keyboard and still have the same issue.

Ctrl-V works in both the Subject field above this message box and in the Message Tags field to to the upper-right of the message box. It also works if I use the insert code sample thing and works if I switch to HTML mode. It does not work if I create a table and try to paste into a cell and does not work if I try bold, italic, etc. I went over to https://community.khoros.com but they disable the ability to enter text in a message box until I register and so I could not do a quick test there.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Testing cmd-v / cmd-b / cmd-u / cmd-i on a Mac running Chrome:

Pasting an image failed, it inserts a carriage return but no image.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi Jenni,

I've stumbled over this Khoros-related post because I add a PhotonOS 4.0 user blog series. Photon OS 4.0 beta has been published some days ago for several platforms, and it's time to contribute. In the past I've written a 4 part series on PhotonOS on Azure.

When I tried to refer to old content, it throws me out with "you do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action".  https://communities.vmware.com/people/DCasota/blog/2020/09/19/vmware-photon-os-on-azure-part-4-publi... 

Could you provide a reference on #1 how to contribute code/text/reflinks and #2 when after the Khoros migration to start contribution? Hopefully #3 syntax highlighting for Powershell/PowerCLI is on the Khoros way as the future posts contain new code on how easily to provision PowerCLI on PhotonOS 4.0 (Beta). I'm not sure how on recommended practice to documents (new term for a user blog right?) and where to start with.

Many thanks for your assistance. Kind regards, Daniel

0 Kudos