VMware Communities
jennivmtn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMTN Community Upgrade to Khoros

Hi all, we've been working the past few days on having the new platform ready for you! While the platform is live, we realize there are still a few things that need to be updated/ worked on:

1. Khoros does not support user blogs, so they have been to documents (Technical Knowledge Base in Khoros terms). They are not quite in the right place, so we are getting that moved over.
  2. The sitemap does not work
  3. Google community landing page redirects are not working.

I will continue to post known issues here, but please feel free to add any in comments that you find or any future feature requests you would like to see. 

Jenni
VMTN Community Manager
28 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jenni,

A couple of points to raise with you:

1. I appear to have zero moderator privileges - I cannot edit, move, or delete any posts (I have reported a few today that I would have dealt with if I could have)

2. I have to sign in every single time I come back to VMTN, from the same browser (and I’m not logging out from one session to the next)

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

On point number 2,  sign-out time seems very fast on the productions servers.  We will file a ticket to change this to a much longer time-period. 

Thanks

-eric

Community.... upload 1 .. download 10.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks, regular users will find this painful otherwise.

Regarding moderator tasks, this now seems to be possible for me, but I have a question - should I be able to delete individual comments or entire threads? (Mods could do this before)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't know,  I will have to ask @jennivmtn,  I'm not to close to administrator/moderator procedures anymore.  =).

Jenni should see this, if not I will send her you question.

0 Kudos
aslk5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The font size is too large. Almost all the subjects are cut off on the vRealize Orchestrator documents section making it very difficult to find the topic I want. Hovering over the link to see the URL isn't even enough. It took me several attempts to find the document I wanted. I see same cutoff topics on other pages.

I'm sure I'll get used to the layout eventually but my first impression is things aren't as useable or discoverable as before and things feel like they take longer to do 

On previous home page I could see all forums and it was very easy to see what was there. It took me 2-3 tries to find the Orchestrator forums and I missed the documents section (and I can't seem to get to the documents from the discussions whereas before it was a tab at at the top and easily discoverable)

Finding the right forums, looking at subjects or last post date is all harder. It's all mixed together now and harder for me to focus on what I want.

Under SDDC there are two forums: VMware vCenter Discussions and vCenter Server Discussions. In old forum layout I knew which forum I wanted to post in but now I have no clue which forums to use . The name makes them seem the same yet they are different.

As I said I'm sure I'll get used to things over time but for now, at least for me, it's not as intuitive as before.

0 Kudos
_vladi_
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

vSphere Client SDK forum on VMware {code} exists (https://communities.vmware.com/t5/vSphere-Client-SDK-Discussions/bd-p/4540) but is not linked anywhere in the menus or lists (see https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-code/ct-p/4500-home).

I guess not all accounts were migrated correctly/fully (e.g. Hot shot status, vExpert status).

Cheers,

Vladi

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks.. we will take a look at get back to you on this,  I notice via the deployment that lists of discussion topics seemed to be larger and less then in the staged environment.  We might have lost a .css file or property when going to production.  We will take a look this week and get back on this thread. 

-eric

@corey_r 

0 Kudos
Gairc17
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I seem to be missing some of my posts.

I tried to access them via the email notification but I get the following message

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Click your browser's Back button to continue.

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

If some of you posts were in threads that were no longer active,   no activity in 5 years,  or in a product area that has been EOL'd + several years,  those threads can end up in a Archived area which is locked.   We could make the Archived area read-only and give everyone access.

Or you could send a list of your threads and we could move them if they were archived improperly!

Thanks.

eric

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Eric,

There's plenty of threads that are valuable after 5 years of inactivity.
I'm OK with making inactive threads that old read only, (I might even applaud that), but removing discussions > 5 years old is not a good idea IMO. That does cull a lot of knowledge.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

It was actually:  10years+,   that had no activity, and less then 100 views.   For the 5 years rule we only looked at content where there was no activity and less then 50 views, which meant less then 5 views per year.  90% of all  the content we removed had zero engagement, zero views in last 5 years.

So we did look at views along with activity.

We did save all content, and have slowly recovered some content on request.  To give you some context, we did reduce the size of the structure by 70% and the amount of content by 50%. Which was partly why Jive was so slow,  we wanted to balance performance with the content needs of the community.  

Eric

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Khoros upgraded the release and we have a new sidebar navigation element for each of the Coffee Houses, (Communities),  so it should be much easier to see/find all the areas under each main community.

We also decrease the font size and tightened up lists and post/reply areas.

Let me know what you think.

-eric

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the answer, having some more context helps.
That sounds a lot less bad.

I guess that "wait and see how many complaints there are" might not be such a bad thing to do then.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi,

Yes thanks for reporting,  it was a very large migration, the re-direct file, listing all content re-directs was over a gigabyte.  One line per re-direct. Plus over 5 million user profiles and 3 million discussions.  So it went pretty wall all things considered, but we have been doing clean-up all week.

-eric

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I do wonder how many of those 5 million profiles were actually valid - back in the old Jive admin console the majority of users had NEVER logged in.

0 Kudos
aslk5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New format for sidebar navigation is  bit easier to follow. Subjects are still cut off. It's like the css limits the subject to only use have the available space on that line.Can it go the full length of maybe word wrap if it's really long? (maybe the latter would look pretty bad though)

In the documents section in the orchestrator forum things are still cut off too and i can't figure out the sorting. Previously when someone updated a topic to post a new plugin, the modified date would change and that post woudl be at the top. This was very easy to see what topic were updated at a glance and know if there might be an updated plugin.  Now it seems like older stuff is at the top making and with no discernible method to the sorting, there's no easy way for me to see what's updated at a glance.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>> We could make the Archived area read-only and give everyone access.

Yes - please dont hide or delete old posts.
That would destroy so much good information that it would be a real pity.
Please at least dont hide any posts that VMware emplyoee Petr was involved in.

Ulli

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's suppose to be time ordered from last update,  I think that's the way threads have been behaving.  I will take a look at properties for that page, Khoros lets us set different properties on every page, possibly  a few pages got set wrong when going to production. 

It's suppose to latest post that was touched shows at the top.

-eric

0 Kudos
ericnipro
Community Manager
Community Manager

We are cleaning up,  once we get things organized, we will figure out how to expose Archived content.  We are still working on bringing over missing sections, which is higher priority at the moment.  Hoping to have that done by Friday, and we will get to some second order activites.

-eric

0 Kudos