VMware Communities
Jason__MC
Contributor
Contributor

New Communities Forum Disconnected My Profile from My Login

I logged in to update a previous post and was instantly redirected to a "Complete your profile" page which required me to create a new username. I logged out and verified my login information. I even checked my email to make sure I was using the same address. After confirming that I was using the same email address and password as I always had before, I logged back in and was again redirected to finish registering my profile. I had to create a new username to be able to post this, but now I no longer have access to my original profile.

Summary:
VMTN somehow unlinked my communities forum profile from my login and My VMware account.
My email address hasn't changed and my My VMware account is fine.
I had to create a new profile to post this.
My original profile is inaccessible.

Suspicion:
Maybe the data copy process from the old forums to this new version didn't like the "." in the username portion of my email address?

(1) Anyone else have this problem? If so, was there something non-standard in your email address like mine (first.last@domain.com)?
(2) How can I regain access to my original profile?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the migration to the new VMTN platform, dots (".") in screen/user names have been converted to underscores ("_").
Maybe the replacement resulted in a duplicate username, why you were asked to change it!? What exactly was your username before?

I'm basically in the same boat where my previously used username "a.p." has been converted to "a_p_" now.

André

0 Kudos
DefineTheDC
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve also had to the complete my profile page when logging in. I have a dot in my email address but not I’m my old username. It said my old username was taken but I’m sure that’s because it’s already assigned to me.

0 Kudos
Jason__MC
Contributor
Contributor

My previous username was Jason_MC. My email address has a dot in the username part (i.e. first.last@domain.com )

After the platform migration it treated my login as a new account on the forum so I created Jason__MC.

The main problem is that I can no longer update a post attached to my original username.

0 Kudos
ccsmse
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. My username doesn't have any dots in though. It consists of letters and numbers only.

I'm using my old work account to post this reply, which luckily still works.

I don't really want to choose a new username for my main account, as doing so will obviously lose all history and ability to reply to previous posted threads which isn't ideal.

Does anyone know if this is being looked at, or how to get it fixed?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I think that a lot of VMware employees are currently at PTO, but my guess would be that you should follow the same procedure as in this article:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Technical-Community-Resources/How-do-I-delete-my-VMTN-account/ta-p...

Haven't seen much response to the many open topics about the forum, so the direct approach will likely have a faster response.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vandrey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi! 

I'm facing the same problem.

If I search the community for my user (vandreytrindade) it appears my info, but everytime I login it asks for another username.

I have to create this one just to post in here as well.

There's no way to connect again to my regular user account? I haven't changed my mail address and my username doesn't have any dashes or underlines or whatever.

It's happening the same with my work mail address...

Any news about this???

0 Kudos
vandrey
Contributor
Contributor

No one can help us?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Did you send the email as I suggested above?

Please be aware that VMware employees come back from PTO -I think- today.. so it might still take a bit of time before the backlog has been resolved.

(note that I do not work for VMware, so I am not that intimate with their exact holiday schema, nor can I check if an employee is back at work or not)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
ccsmse
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil,

I followed your advice, and had an email conversation with a really helpful person called Jenny.

I got my username back, which was done by renaming my disconnected profile to something else (to free up the username), then re-assigning it back to my account. However I STILL lost everything, as my history is still tied to my disconnected profile which I can see is still there.

Jenny was very helpful, but ultimately unable to reconnect my profile.

Many members lost their profiles during the upgrade, and its a shame no proper route has been provided to help those affected. There also hasn't been ANY formal acknowledgement or reply to these threads that i've seen. I also replied to the official posts on Twitter about the upgrade (twice), asking for help with our profile issues, but got no response. 

Its great the forum has been upgraded, but not so great for those who lost everything as a result 😞

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Glad to hear that you at least got your username back, but yes it is frustrating to loose your history.

Jenny does what she can within the limits that she has to work with.

re. old forum, new forum.
The old forum had its problems (well OK a lot of problems), the new forum was supposed to be an improvement. I'm not sure we are at that stage yet (Let's say that that's my positive view on how it all works)

The old forum software was not going to be developed anymore, so there was no way forward.
Hopefully the new forum really does improve over time, but it certainly takes a while.

--
Wil

0 Kudos