Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

New Communities Forum Disconnected My Profile from My Login

I logged in to update a previous post and was instantly redirected to a "Complete your profile" page which required me to create a new username. I logged out and verified my login information. I even checked my email to make sure I was using the same address. After confirming that I was using the same email address and password as I always had before, I logged back in and was again redirected to finish registering my profile. I had to create a new username to be able to post this, but now I no longer have access to my original profile.

Summary:
VMTN somehow unlinked my communities forum profile from my login and My VMware account.
My email address hasn't changed and my My VMware account is fine.
I had to create a new profile to post this.
My original profile is inaccessible.

Suspicion:
Maybe the data copy process from the old forums to this new version didn't like the "." in the username portion of my email address?

(1) Anyone else have this problem? If so, was there something non-standard in your email address like mine (first.last@domain.com)?
(2) How can I regain access to my original profile?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
User Moderator
User Moderator

With the migration to the new VMTN platform, dots (".") in screen/user names have been converted to underscores ("_").
Maybe the replacement resulted in a duplicate username, why you were asked to change it!? What exactly was your username before?

I'm basically in the same boat where my previously used username "a.p." has been converted to "a_p_" now.

André

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I’ve also had to the complete my profile page when logging in. I have a dot in my email address but not I’m my old username. It said my old username was taken but I’m sure that’s because it’s already assigned to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

My previous username was Jason_MC. My email address has a dot in the username part (i.e. first.last@domain.com )

After the platform migration it treated my login as a new account on the forum so I created Jason__MC.

The main problem is that I can no longer update a post attached to my original username.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. My username doesn't have any dots in though. It consists of letters and numbers only.

I'm using my old work account to post this reply, which luckily still works.

I don't really want to choose a new username for my main account, as doing so will obviously lose all history and ability to reply to previous posted threads which isn't ideal.

Does anyone know if this is being looked at, or how to get it fixed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
User Moderator
User Moderator

Hi,

I think that a lot of VMware employees are currently at PTO, but my guess would be that you should follow the same procedure as in this article:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Technical-Community-Resources/How-do-I-delete-my-VMTN-account/ta-p...

Haven't seen much response to the many open topics about the forum, so the direct approach will likely have a faster response.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos