VMware Communities
RogerLeigh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Inability to attach text logs to forum posts with new forum software

The new forum software seems to prohibit attaching VMware log files and even text files of any sort:

The file type (.txt) is not supported. Valid file types are: jpg, gif, png, pdf, pptx.

The file type (.log) is not supported. Valid file types are: jpg, gif, png, pdf, pptx.

Seriously?  I can attach an image or a powerpoint, but not a plain text log file needed to diagnose problems, that VMware's own software output.  Come on!  This makes it impossible to provide necessary information other than a trivial screenshot.

Is anyone aware of this defect, and is it going to be addressed?  Are there any workarounds in the interim?

Thanks for your consideration,

Roger

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, we have reported this already at the moderator forum.
It makes it very hard to help users with the current file type attachment limitations.

PS: Moving your post to the "Help"-> "Forum Status" area, so that it gets seen by the people working on fixing all the forum issues.
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RogerLeigh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Wil,

That's much appreciated, thanks!

Kind regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

A possible workaround is paste the log contents into a spoiler tag.

Spoiler
A spoiler tag would be useful to paste very long text from log files, at least it makes it more bearable to navigate around.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How do you do that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

There is a Spoiler button (the icon with ! inside a triangle). Seems to work in similar fashion as Quote button in the previous system except that it becomes collapsed view.

Spoiler

I don't know what side effects this might have. AFAIK, the attachments were not making the forum post appear in search engine results. Now if this is in a spoiler, I wonder if search engines would pick this up.

This is an experiment K-h-o-r-o-s s-p-o-i-l-e-r whether search engines pick this up.

Also does the spoiler show up in the email notification?

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Spoiler
Testing a spoiler

Thanks, very useful to know 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos