VMware Communities
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

How to read PMs ?

Sorry for this stupid question - it sounds so silly ....
How can we read private messages that are longer than the 3 lines that are displayed in the overview ?
Is there a reply button hidden somewhere ?

Thanks

Ulli

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Reply button?

Formatting?

More than 3 lines?

Pfff.. what do you think this is, a forum?

At least you managed to find the PM button, in my case another moderator had to point it out to me.
Having PM's without a reply button at least keeps the PM's to a minimum.

It's like when the email notification breaks again.. I just enjoy the silence 😉
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Ok - I have 2 different procedures that worked in the past when ever I had to deal with apps, that hide their functions in places where nobody, who has used similar apps in the past, would ever look.
Both procedures have major problems though.
1. get totally drunk or stoned and then hope to find the desired function by accident - drawback: dont remember how I did it next day 😎
2. kidnap a kid not older than 12 and abuse their open mind which is unspoiled by any previous experience with similar apps - drawback: probably run into severe problems with paying the kid - the kids these days are not satisfied with an icecream or a few bucks - when they realize that you are helpless they charge real money ...

Wil -  as moderator you may have heard rumours .... has anybody ever managed to read a 4th line of a PM ? What about line 5 ?

If I remember right I once managed to read a complete PM - but then I probably used procedure 1 ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Select the PM subject, it doesn’t look like a link but I seem to remember it is.

(I don’t have any saved PMs to “play” with as I had a clear out when stepping down from mod duties)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Scott,

Thanks again.

Yes, that's it.
Didn't occur to me last night, nor did I see the cursor change when hovering over the subject line.
Hmm.. that's a UX failure to not have a visual clue for that.

I was going to say to Ulli that it showed the whole story in the email notifications, but that means you have to have that enabled. Not everybody wants that. Besides that I couldn't check as the only email notification I still had was a single line one.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

standinthecorner.gifstandinthecornerwithchair.gifstandinthecornerundertable.gifstandinthecornerwithtable1.gifstandinthecornerwithtable2.gifgone.gif
Should not anything that can have such a devastating, demoraIizing effect on the senior civilist population be banned by the Geneva conventions ???
I mean hiding functionality in the most obvious location - even worse : in the only location - how sneaky is that ???
This afternoon the 7 year old daughter of my tennants solved the problem in 5 seconds - she does not even read english !

This forum should have a big fat warning sign that says:
Experienced forum-visitors may feel like idiots when visiting VMTN. You have been warned !!!

I told my lawyers to sue the developers for over 50.000 bucks on damages of mental health - but then he warned me and asked me how I would proove in court that I had not been an idiot all the time.
😡- I thought : you are right - cant pull that off ... 

Ulli