VMware Communities
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Firefox userContent.css tweaks for to improve the forum readability

For my personal use, the block "Latest Post" is inaccurate and just eating up screen real estate.
So figured to remove it using userContent.css (firefox only)
Also noticed that the font is hardwired to 15 pixels, which is not great on high resolution screens, I changed the main text to use 13 points.

The code to do so is:

@-moz-document url-prefix(https://communities.vmware.com/) {
/* hide latest posts */
 div.lia-panel.lia-panel-standard.MessageListTaplet.Chrome.lia-component-forums-widget-recent-messages {
display: none !important;
}
/* bigger more readable fonts */
.lia-message-body-content p, .lia-message-body p, .lia-message-editor p, .lia-note-body p, .lia-occasion-description p {
font-size: 13pt;
line-height: 140%;
}
.lia-message-editor p {
font-size: 13pt !important;
}
#lia-body.ForumTopicPage .lia-content .lia-panel-message .lia-message-subject, #lia-body.GroupMessagePage .lia-content .lia-panel-message .lia-message-subject {
padding-bottom: 3px;
} }

Firefox links to enabling userContent.css
https://www.howtogeek.com/334716/how-to-customize-firefoxs-user-interface-with-userchrome.css/
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/

edit:
2020/11/21 added links that describe how-to enable userContent.css for Firefox and added a first font size patch
2020/11/22 more white space between the lines, changed subject of topic

cheers!
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That block of the screen seems to serve little purpose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, I didn't see a way to get rid of it in my settings, but knew an alternative way, so figured to share that.
There's going to be other ways on other browsers, but I'll leave that as an exercise for others 😉

Best solution would be if VMware got rid of it, really not seeing the point.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I agree that there's still a lot of work to do on the new platform to make it usable again.
Let's give the VMTN team the time they need to finish migrating the data, so that they can spend time to take care of the user interface.

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

André,

Sure, this is just a workaround that I am sharing here.
I just happen to use userContent.css for a quick patch to make the forums more usable.
It does not necessarily make them more pretty!

It is something I have always used as it helps me with to cope with my visual impairment without having to depend on the website to accomodate for my personal needs.
--
Wil

0 Kudos