VMware Modern Apps Community
kasper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Photon vs Alpine

Can someone point me to a web link that compares Photon to Alpine?   Alpine seems to have a smaller footprint (less is more) and other nice features.   Photon is better integrated with VMWare?   However if I want indepence with containers Alpine may be a better choice.   I digress.    Just want a white paper Photon vs Alpine.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I belief VMware Photon OS is better ~ global defence networking. Epic teams - it's all about that. If you know you know.

That said, the paradigm of software provides hardware-triggering functionality by using these hasn't changed yet. There is no new category of an open source patent philosophy eg. for robotics or MR/AR/VR related cheat sheets.

In the old but gold flavor of cheat sheets, I would begin with saying Photon OS is superior in:
- using the VMware's Linux Cryptographic Module for Non-Proprietary Security Policies (FIPS 140-2)
- ci/cd pipelines to improve networking use cases eg. for virtual radio network applications
- Robust uefi and secure boot on vSphere, rpm ostree + package manager tdnf image/package system
- longer LTS periods
- documentation because you find Photon OS learning stuff almost in every VMware software appliance product

What I like on Alpine from the prospectives
- Same focus on developers and productive environments. In addition, Alpine maintains docs especially for newbie developers
- more choices of platforms x86_64, arm32 and arm64, Raspberry Pi, PPC64
- more non-proprietary, classic server use cases articles

Alpine also maintains desktop environments. Not sure if this is in better sequence though. I mean an installer with support of all 80+ file systems flavors would be somewhat a nice feature.

Hope this helps.

kasper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you.   Both offer some interesting methods of security.   Alpine has position-independt execuctables and stack smashing protection.   You already have mentioned what Photon has.   If I was agnostic I would have a difficult time chosing.    But I favor VMWare.    And Photon support and development is great.  

0 Kudos