VMware Modern Apps Community
KFM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to Install Obsoleted Package?

So I've deployed some vCloud Availability appliances which I believe are based on Photon OS. I want to install tcpdump and netcat to do some troubleshooting but because this is a locked down appliance I had to manually edit the photon.repo file to enable the the photon repository in /etc/yum.repos.d.

Now when i try to install either package I get the following message:

root@photonvm [ /etc/yum.repos.d ]# tdnf install tcpdump

Found 1 problem(s) while resolving

1. installed package photon_vasecurity-11.3.0-7315477.noarch obsoletes tcpdump provided by tcpdump-4.9.2-1.ph2.x86_64

Error(1301) : Hawkey general runtime error

root@photonvm [ /etc/yum.repos.d ]# tdnf install netcat

Found 1 problem(s) while resolving

1. installed package photon_vasecurity-11.3.0-7315477.noarch obsoletes netcat provided by netcat-0.7.1-5.ph2.x86_64

Error(1301) : Hawkey general runtime error

Some further info on the photon_vasecurity package...

root@photonvm [ /etc/yum.repos.d ]# tdnf info photon_vasecurity

Name          : photon_vasecurity

Arch          : noarch

Epoch         : 0

Version       : 11.3.0

Release       : 7315477

Install Size  : 108.83k 111439 (111439)

Repo          : @System

Summary       : VA Security Hardening scripts for VMware

URL           : (null)

License       : commercial

Description   : Virtual Appliance Security Hardening for Photon VMware.

I have no idea how to proceed. I get that photon_vasecurity obsoletes tcpdump but the former is a totally different package to the latter! Is the photon_vasecurity package deliberately obsoleting tcpdump and netcat (and probably a whole lot more other packages) from a hardening perspective? If this is the case, how can I override or manually install the two packages?

Any pointers would be much appreciated - thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

First of all, if this is for a production or otherwise business use case environment, do not attempt to install any packages into a vendor-provided appliance regardless of how innocent they may seem. For that, you need to open a SR with VMware to get guidance and/or get help directly with troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
KFM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, thanks for your prompt reply! I'm aware of the potential issues that may arise from installing software into vendor blackbox appliances, however I am simply trying to troubleshoot an underlying network problem. Ultimately I can easily redeploy the appliances without the 3rd party software from a scripted install once the testing is complete.

0 Kudos
AnitaSilva
Contributor
Contributor

Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, thank you very much.

walgreenslistens

0 Kudos
Alister04
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure if anyone found the solution to this but I recently came across this issue on SRM 8.4 and fixed it with the steps as shown in the screenshot.

Alister04_0-1625557562937.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Ndamian
Contributor
Contributor

did it broke after uninstalling that?

0 Kudos
anilspp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing.