VMware Cloud Community
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware convertor P2V question

Hi,

I would like to convert a physical server to an ovf file. my question is that my server have 2 nic cards and I have install in one of them a specific driver, I would like to know if the driver will convert it self to virtual with the server or will I need to install it again in the vm machine.

Regards,

Michel Vaillancourt

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By default, Converter creates a network for you called VMNetwork.

If you want to create your own networks, on the Advanced metadata details page, create and edit the networks available for your virtual appliance for later mapping.

What is the special driver you have installed in the physical machine, does it required any physical device present or it is like some loop back adapters ?

0 Kudos
michelvaillanco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The driver is for a convertor the convert ina protocol ( intel protocol ) to ip.

It doesn't required any physical device present.

Michel V

0 Kudos
VijaySendhur
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I know, Convertor copies all the drivers during conversion process and if the device is a virtual device and doesn't require any physical device, it should work. No need to add it again.

But I haven't tested this scenario, will try to test in the lab and let you know.

0 Kudos
Jimmy15
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If u have created .ovf of ur physical machine and now u want to run it on Virtual environment. will these NIC be available on physical host as well?

Virtual Machine use Intel card drivers for its virtual NIC so no dependency on physical NIC cards.

regards

Pankaj

regards

PS: Mark kudos or correct answer as appropriate 🙂
0 Kudos