VMware Cloud Community
grimvar
Contributor
Contributor

probing OVF-files in datastore

Hi,

I can't get my head around how to access the datastore via ovftool.

The setup: I have exported three VMs on one server into .OVF-Format and I want to transfer them onto another server. Due to network problems and the inability to import the OVFs from a local machine (those problems are for other threads), I put the three OVF-folders directly in the datastore of the new server.

Since I only can import OVF-files from a local machine, I thought that I could use ovftool to set the source for the OVF to the datastore.

But I can't even probe for the files in the datastore, I tried several variations (slashs, backslashs, paths) of

ovftool vi://192.168.XXX.XXX?ds=[datastore1]/vmProject/vmachines/vMaster/vMaster.ovf

I always end up with "Datacenter object not found". I also can't get "possible completions" when I omit path-structures.

The server is freshly set up and has no virtual machines installed until now, the only items in the datastore are the OVF-folder-structure.

I read the Guide, used the example syntax but somehow I can't get it to show me the details of a OVF in the datastore. If I point to a local path, everything is fine...

help would be much appreciated

0 Kudos
0 Replies