VMware Cloud Community
PeteHogan
Contributor
Contributor

ovftool.cfg

Looking for some sample "ovftool.cfg" and/or "*.ovftool" files.  Any body point me in right direction? "ovftool --help config" not giving me too much information.

Thanks - Hogan..

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Communities.

The config file is just a text file with a list of the variables and their values that you would use from the command line.

These options that you would normally specify on the command line

--acceptAllEulas

--compress  

--datastore

could be represented in the config file as

acceptAllEulas=true

compress=9

datastore=storage01

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
PeteHogan
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

Just want to make sure I understand.  The only options available in ovftool.cfg are the options i see when I do a "ovftool --help"?  When I look at the ovf specs at DMTF there seems to be a lot more options for things like product description, etc.  If I manually update/change the .ovf file will vmware recognize it when I deploy?

hope I'm making sense...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The ovftool.cfg is just a way to avoid a lot of retyping at the command line. It doesn't configure anything per se. You can create ovftool.cfg files for different use cases. Anything that you change outside the ovftool may or not work depending on whether or not it violates anything.

0 Kudos
PeteHogan
Contributor
Contributor

Understood...

Thanks for the quick response.  This helps

Pete...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Glad to help.

0 Kudos
manishMj
Contributor
Contributor

Hello DSTAVERT​,

Sir, I have this small problem with the tool.

When I run the ovftool –help config I expect it to print the help contents & along with that the local configuration should be read & printed. But it always says no local configuration found. I have the .ovftool file created in my current directory. Any idea what could be the problem…?

0 Kudos