VMware Cloud Community
akhils2
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

With OVFtool I am trying to upload template to vcenter with s3 presigned url as source locator.

With OVFtool I am trying to upload template to vcenter with s3 presigned url as source locator, but getting error 

./ovftool --allowAllExtraConfig --noSSLVerify --network="core" --name=centos-Minimal --vmFolder=Testing/temp --datastore='WorkloadDatastore' 'https://xxxxx-bucket-sync.s3.us-xxxx-1.amazonaws.com/xxxx-m-h14-xxxx.ova?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-S...' 'vi://zzzzzzzzzzz:xxxxxxxxxx!@vcenter-0-0-0-00.vmwarevmc.com:443/Datacenter/host/Cluster-1/'

Error :-

Error: Unable to access URL [https://xxxxxx-bucket-sync.s3.us-xxxxx-1.amazonaws.com/xxxxx-m-h14-xxxxx.ova] (response code: 403), please check the requested URL
Completed with errors

I need to upload the template through s3 link with secure way.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Macleud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi.

Are you sure you haven't set a password for the Bucket?

Not sure if this will work with S3.

protocol://username:password@host:port/<path to OVF package>

0 Kudos
JeffJ
Contributor
Contributor

What version of the OVFtool are you using?

The 4.4.0 release notes have a known issue: 

• HTTP source links with Query parameters are not supported yet.

OVF Tool drops URL query parameters (after question mark), including authentication tokens. This functionality is required for VMC on AWS pre-signed URLs, and possibly for other public clouds. The workaround is to download the specified file to a local drive and then point OVF Tool at the local file.

We would also like to use a presigned URL to directly import an OVA from a source s3 bucket. We want to avoid the additional I/O overhead of need to make and manage a copy of the file. 

Can anybody confirm if this has been fixed in subsequent versions of OVFtool like 4.5 and 4.6?  It is no longer listed as a known issue and so far I haven't been able to find any release notes that indicate it has been fix.  

FWiW - I tried a presigned URL in the vcenter UI (v7) to "Deploy OVF Template".   When I entered a presigned URL in the "Select an OVF template" window and press next it displays in red "URL is not well formed or unsupported"

When I removed the query parameters the error went away. (of course the import failed with a 403).
Maybe this is more than just an OVFtool issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos