VMware Cloud Community
YutaKuroishi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware OVF Tool is used and interrupted, VMs cannot be started.

Hello.

I have a problem with VMware OVF Tool.
I would like to ask a question about the subject matter. The other day, I used the VMware OVF Tool to try to get the OVF of a VM built on ESXi. However, due to the circumstances of the PC on which I was acquiring the OVF, I typed "ctrl + C" at the prompt to abort the process.
After that, I tried to boot the target VM from vCenter, but the message "The attempted operation cannot be performed in the current state (powered on)" was displayed and the VM could not be booted.
I also tried to put it into maintenance mode on ESXi, but it timed out and was not possible. Eventually, I was able to resolve the event by restarting ESXi.

I checked the situation with vim-cmd on ESXi, and the following notation was made.
Version 8.2.0 running on Photon OS 3.0
7 XXXXXXXXXXXX [ds_XXXXXXXXX_cluster02_vmimg01] XXXXXXXXXXX/XXXXXXXXXXXXX.vmx rhel8_64Guest vmx-17
"
It appeared to be controlled by Photon OS. In other words, it appeared that ESXi was controlling this machine on its own.

Does anyone know what to do if the OVF acquisition is interrupted in the middle of the process?

Best regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
YutaKuroishi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thread reported so moderators know it should be moved to the area for OVFTool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
YutaKuroishi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.
Is it possible to get some more information from you?
What are "moderators"?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Look at the path towards the top of the page, you'll see the thread now has a new home.

Moderators are volunteers who manage the forums, for example when things are posted in the wrong place or when spam is posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
YutaKuroishi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My apologies. Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
YutaKuroishi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos