VMware Cloud Community
jchoppers
Contributor
Contributor

The OVF descriptor file could not be parsed.

Hi All,

I have just exported an vApp using ovf from my vCenter v4u2. When I try to import into Vmware Workstation 7.1(running on Window 7 Ent 64bit) I get the following error message "The OVF descriptor file could not be parsed."  I have attached the log.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From a quick look at the log it looks like you try to use the build converter in workstation.

Please note that this do not support ovf 1.0 ovfs. You will have to use ovftool to convert the ovf to vmx.

eske

jchoppers
Contributor
Contributor

hmmm.

What I am trying to do is create a virtual appliance for my team to be able to easly import into vmware workstation.   I have created the vAPP with  3 virtual machines in vCenter.  I then exported using the export ovf/ova tool in vCenter.  I'm hoping just to be able to provide the team with a single ova file to import the vApp into workstation.  What would be the best way to do this?

Thanks again!

J

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The issue with ovf 1.0 will be fixed in a future release of workstation but for now you will have to ask your team members to install/run ovftool (free and provided for Linux, Windows, and mac os x)(please note that ovftool is part of workstation 7 release (and fusion 3))

ovftool is a commandline tool that provide easy access to import/export vm/vapps to almost all vmware products.

eske

jchoppers
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eske,

I have downloaded the tool, and ran it using the following syntax.

C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware OVF Tool>ovftool C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\
xxx\xxx.ovf C:\test\xxxx.vmx
Opening OVF source: C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\xxx\xxxx.ovf
Opening VMX target: C:\test\xxxx.vmx

When I look in C:\test\   the .vmx file is not there.

Also I have tried just using the command with the source. ex: ovftool "Windows 7.ovf"   and the .vmx is not created.

Any thoughs?

J

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

No sorry. I am sure not what is going on.

does

ovftool C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\ xxx\xxx.ovf

shows information about the VM? (aka OVF version etc)

eske

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

any news on this?

eske

0 Kudos
JuwelPatil
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Here's the simplest way to fix this for all OVA / OVF imports in Workstation 6.x and 7.x

1) Download VMware convertor standalone (4.x)

2) Click convert machine button and select the OVA/OVF

3) Select "Virtual Appliance" - "File System if you have downloaded your OVA / OVF or URL"

4) The conversion goes like charm

Creates a VMX and VMDK, now open your workstation / vCenter GUI and open the VMX - stage is open for your work now 🙂

0 Kudos
efxze
Contributor
Contributor

bull shit!

0 Kudos