VMware Cloud Community
DFArchAngel
Contributor
Contributor

OVFTool Import Multiple VMs into vApp or Template

Hi There,

Please can someone advise if it is possible, I would like to import multiple VMs into the same vApp or Template in vCloud.

When testing i get this error...

Opening vCloud target: vcloud://export@derenvvcd.mgsops.net:443/cloud
Error: vApp name already found in the catalog. Either overwrite it or choose a different name.
Completed with errors

Thanks in advanced,

4 Replies
dgold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you tried --name=vm2 ?  

what is already there in the vApp? 

what is your OVF say for the name of the ovf you're trying to deploy?

0 Kudos
DFArchAngel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, its a completely different VM name and OVF I'm trying to pull in. It just going into the same vApp Name..

1).\ovftool.exe -tt=vCloud Q:\Export\39.20\OVF\BingoGS1_39.20\BingoGS1_39.20.ovf “vcloud://User:Pass@derenvvcd.mgsops.net/cloud?org=Environments&vdc=FP_OrgVDC_Environments&vappTemplate=OVFTool&catalog=Bluemesa Builds ID4”

OUTPUT

Opening OVF source: Q:\Export\39.20\OVF\BingoGS1_39.20\BingoGS1_39.20.ovf

The manifest validates

Deploying to vCloud vApp template: vcloud://export@derenvvcd.mgsops.net:443/cloud

Disk progress: 99%

Transfer Completed                   

Completed successfully

2) .\ovftool.exe -tt=vCloud Q:\Export\39.20\OVF\BIDWDB01_39.20\BIDWDB01_39.20.ovf “vcloud://User:Pass@derenvvcd.mgsops.net/cloud?org=Environments&vdc=FP_OrgVDC_Environments&vappTemplate=OVFTool&catalog=Bluemesa Builds ID4”

ERROR

Opening OVF source: Q:\Export\39.20\OVF\BIDWDB01_39.20\BIDWDB01_39.20.ovf

The manifest validates

Error: vApp name already found in the catalog. Either overwrite it or choose a different name.

Completed with errors

Thanks

0 Kudos
dgold
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think you can insert a VM into an existing vApp with ovftool, if I find a way will let you know.  However I know for sure that you can import a vApp with multiple VMs into VCD.  just tried it and it worked fine in version 10.  My vApp had two VMs in it.

ovftool.exe  vcdvapp2vm.ovf   "vcloud://orguser:pass@myvcd.mydomain.com?org=myorg1&vapp=testvapp2"

DougBaer
Commander
Commander

I import multiple-VM vApps into VCD nearly every day, so I know that works 🙂

To "combine" things, you must import the individual VMs/vApps and then perform the consolidation once they are all within VCD.

On another note, a template is basically immutable in VCD (aside from some metdata), so if this were possible, you would have to do it to a vApp rather than a vAppTemplate.

Doug Baer, Solution Architect, Advanced Services, Broadcom | VCDX #019, vExpert 2012-23
0 Kudos