VMware Cloud Community
holohan
Contributor
Contributor

OVA file for VM with vdisks on different datastores

Hi,

I have an ova file created for a virtual machines that has 6 virtual disks.  All disks were on different datastores.  When I import that ova I'd like a way for the vdisks to not all end up in one datastore, but on specific datastores.  I'm currently running vSphere 5.1.  My reason for this is that certain datastores are on high performance disks, and I would like the imported VM to also utilize those high performance disks.  There doesn't appear to be a way to edit while doing the import.  There also doesn't appear to be a way to edit the virtual machine and change it's datastores after I have created it.  The last thing I can find to try is to use the datastore browser to move these virtual disks to the appropriate datastores, but looks like an ugly way to do it.  Does anyone have any other ideas on how to do this with ova file?

I switched to ova files because I wanted a nice compressed package to deliver the my virtual machine examples (they're thick provisioned because I want to encourage our customers to utilize thick provisioned drives).  Any ideas on a better way to distribute these example VM's so that the underlying storge defaults are saved?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Mark

0 Kudos
0 Replies