VMware Cloud Community
adweitzsacker
Contributor
Contributor

Importing ovf to workstation 8 not working

Each search for my question leads me here; I found a similar issue, but have been getting consistent failures.

I have a server VM that is in ESXi 4.1.0 502767 that I have exported to OVF Template using vSphere 5.0, then either directly in VMware Workstation 8.0.1 528992 or using ovftool 2.1.0 (build-467744) I get failures. The first failure was "target does not support CPU validation".

Following a thread I found in this list, I attempted to comment out the CpuCompatibilitySection and deleting the .mf file. This resulted in a parse error.

My next attempt was to simply delete the CpuCompatibilitySection from the .ovf file, which it appeared to do something, created a .vmx file and reported successful completion, but when trying to open the .vmx file, I get an internal error.

I also tried to do an open of the ovf file with Workstation and it appears to complete, but fails on open with again an internal error.

I've restarted Workstation and tried to open the ovf file, which appeared to complete. Including the ovftool.log and what appears to be the session log.

I'm running VMware Workstation on an HP xw6600 workstation with 8G under Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

The goal is to export a copy of a production VM server to workstation to test a software upgrade locally as I have in the past.

If there is a better way to get a copy to my workstation, please direct me to the appropriate how-to references.

Thanks!

--alan

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

could you PM me the OVF or post it to the forum (just the OVF not the disk) so I can take a look at why it fails and why the vmx file looks bad?

eske

0 Kudos
adweitzsacker
Contributor
Contributor

Here's the ovf of one of the VMs I'm having problems with. There are 2 that are giving me the same type of problems.

Thanks!

--alan

0 Kudos