VMware Cloud Community
lachi
Contributor
Contributor

Error deploying ovf file created with OVFTOOL 1.0 VMware converter 4.0.1. Please help

I converted a Virtual Machine installed on a ESX 3.5 server to a virtual

appliance (*.ovf ) file using the OVFTOOL1.0.Now I am trying to

convert this virtual appliance to deploy as a virtual machine on a

different ESX server using same converter 4.0.1 and it is not working.

I get following error

Error: Failed to clone disk C:\Documents and

Settings\*\Desktop\*\viso.vmdk on the virtual machine 'viso'.

If I try

importing the same virtual appliance viso.ovf file with VMware Infrastructure client 2.5 I get

the following error "An

error occured while parsing the OVF descriptor: Unable to parse xml element 'Envelop'"

Please suggest what might be wrong. I am stuck and need help. I will need to make the VM from OVF file with Any UI Deployer

Thanks,

Lachi

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

ovftool produce OVF 1.0 files while VC 3.5 and converter 4.0.1 only reads OVF 0.9 files.

If you want to move a VM from one ESX host to another why not just use OVF tool all the way. It can be done in 1 or 2 steps depending if you want the OVF for later use

1 step)

ovftool vi://USERNAME:PASSWORD@FROMHOST/vm/VMNAME vi://USERNAME@PASSWORD@TOHOST/vm/

2 step)

ovftool vi://USERNAME:PASSWORD@FROMHOST/vm/VMNAME C:\Temp\MyVm.ovf

ovftool c:\Temp\MyVm.ovf vi://USERNAME:PASSWORD@TOHOST/vm

evt. read the doc for options to set on the export/import process.

eske

0 Kudos
lachi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Eske. We wanted to provide a UI tool for deploying the Virtual appliance. I had no issues deploying the Virtual appliance

from OVFTOOL.

Syprisingly when I use Converter 4.0.1 to convert VM to appliance it does convert to 1.0 OVF format. But when I deploy the same

appliance from the same converter to a VM it fails.

Thanks,

Lachi.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

no problem. Can you reproduce the problem with converter with just a "basic" vm. e.g just create empty with an empty disk

eske

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

oh I forgot to add my real answer :smileylaugh:

You should be able to build a UI on top of ovftool. ovftool is made with being scriptable in mind so if you want to list vms on a host you can do

ovftool vi://username:password@host/vm

and it will return a list of vm names on the host.

many of the options can be used to explore the VMs if they are used in the "right" way.

eske

0 Kudos
lachi
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Eske. I was not able to reproduce the issue with Converter4.0.1 with empty OS. I created a VM with no OS and

had no issue creating the Virtual appliance and deploying the appliance to a VM.

Looks like it has to do with only when I have a OS installed. I have a proprietery OS created based on 64 bit centos Linux

installed on my VM. Would looking at the VMX file help?

Thanks,

Lachi.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Lachi

I will get someone that knows converter alot better than me to take a look at your problem. I will make hin contact you.

eske

0 Kudos
bobbarjung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lachi,

Can you send me the logs of the failed Ovf->VM conversion using Converter 4.0.1

You can right click on the failed task in the converter UI and click on "Export Logs". Save the logs in a zip file and post them here.

I will take a look at it to see if I can identify the problem.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
lachi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eske,

Attached are the logs. Thank you for your time and help with this

Thanks,

Lachi.

0 Kudos
lachi
Contributor
Contributor

I found out the issue was due to VPN. If I am not on VPN it works.

0 Kudos
bobbarjung
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Lachi,

Thanks for letting us know. Good to know that it works without the VPN

0 Kudos