VMware Cloud Community
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deploy OVF Template in VMWare Workstation 10 using ovf-tool

Hi All,

I just started exploring the ovf-tools. I have an ovf template available for a VM and I was able to deploy it in Workstation using the GUI.

Is there a way / command available to use this pre-existing .ovf template and deploy a Virtual Machine in workstation using this; through ovf-tool?

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you can do is to use the ovftool to create a local VM and then open it in VMware Workstation.

You can find the command line options running ovftool.exe --help examples

Sample: ovftool -tt=vmx c:\ovfs\my_vapp.ovf c:\vms\

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What you can do is to use the ovftool to create a local VM and then open it in VMware Workstation.

You can find the command line options running ovftool.exe --help examples

Sample: ovftool -tt=vmx c:\ovfs\my_vapp.ovf c:\vms\

André

0 Kudos
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks much for your reply.. Just to clarify, You meant to use the ovf-tool to convert .ovf template to .vmx first and then start the VM in workstation using this .vmx file?

One more question, is there a way to choose/generate the mac address while using ovf-tool? I couldn't find any option regarding mac address configuration in its help..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm not aware of an option like this. The MAC address is usually generated automatically to be unique. You can however - after adding the VM to the VMware Workstation library - edit the VM's settings and manually configure a MAC address.

André

0 Kudos
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can I use the same .ovf to deploy multiple VMs (which are actually ESXis) on the workstation at the same time?

Thanks a lot for your help..

0 Kudos
pointer_00
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Never mind, I think the proper way is to create one VM from the .ovf template and then clone it multiple times Smiley Happy

0 Kudos