VMware Cloud Community
kingslavcho
Contributor
Contributor

Can't backup with ovftool - transfer closed with outstanding read data remaining

Hello friends, I have a problem exporting my VM from ESXi 6.5.0. I need the vm so I can transfer it on another server. I tried using the web GUI but the exporting failed.. Than I read that there is a tool called ovftool to export VMs for esxi host. I tried exporting with this tool but the export process was not successful. Than I used a tag to export the logs so I can see what is happening but since I am not an expert in VMWare i would like you friends to help me. Thank you

P.S. I am sending you the logs from the ovftool in attachment

0 Kudos
11 Replies
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I think it's better to move this question inside global vSphere community here https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-vSphere/ct-p/2000-home

No much related stuff to NSX based topics 👍

BR,

Dragan

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@dragance 

Rather than directing the user to create a duplicate thread, choose Report Inappropriate Content from the 3 vertical dot menu to the right of a post and leave a note for a moderator to move it:

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 14.09.49.png

I've just reported this post using that method, the post should get moved once a moderator takes action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks @scott28tt - totally correct 👍

BR,

Dragan

0 Kudos
kingslavcho
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I understand that I made a mistake because I am new here. But can we now try to solve my issue? Thank you

0 Kudos
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you share please size of required VM and content of its folder? Maybe you're able to download its .vmdk file and create exact new VM using that .vmdk? If size is not too big you can freely download it from datastore and use somewhere else.

This way you are not using ovftool at all to pack it inside transportable .ovf format.

BR,

Dragan

0 Kudos
kingslavcho
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the VM i want to download.. the size is 500gb and the full size of the datastore is 550gb.. I want to transfer it to a new server and extend its memory.. That is the purpose. Thank you

0 Kudos
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Based on your second picture - can you download .vmdk and .vmx files to your device? With enough space on it of course. Please do a clean shut down of VM before copy operations.

If you download it successfully you can upload it to new server and its datastore, by importing vmx file or creating exact new VM with existing .vmdk disk file, which you downloaded.

BR,

Dragan

0 Kudos
kingslavcho
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to download it for 3-4 times and it failed.. The 5th download was successful but i would like to know why the downloaded vmdk file is 80gb and not 500 and it says flat in the file name? Shouldn't that be a 500gb and not 80?

0 Kudos
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Per KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1002511

"Each disk drive for a virtual machine consists of a pair of .vmdk files. One is a text file containing descriptive data about the virtual hard disk, and the second is the actual content of that disk. For example, a virtual machine named examplevm has one 10GB disk attached to it. This disk is comprised of a examplevm.vmdk descriptor file of under 1 KB, and a 10 GB examplevm-flat.vmdk flat file which contains virtual machine content."

Can you try using WinSCP to download required VM from that ESXi host?

BR,

Dragan

0 Kudos
kingslavcho
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, i tried it and the download failed when it came to the finish - to 500gb.. why is this so? Why is it not possible to just copy the vmdk file? I was waiting for 5 days to be downloaded via scp...

0 Kudos
dragance
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well it can really be multiple factors and from multiple aspects honestly. You can check inside ESXi logs, regarding possible datastore issues. OVF export is the most easiest one, but obviously you have some deeper issues with that VM on ESXi host.
Maybe you can try with trial vCenter mgmt and exporting CPoint VM using tools inside this appliance? If this has something specific with third party vendor (like CheckPoint in this case, if I'm not wrong) you can also check with them on required steps to export it out.

BR,

Dragan

0 Kudos