VMware Cloud Community
jarabizna
Contributor
Contributor

vmware remote console does not work with additional command laine parameters

Hello,

I tried to use vmware remote console which is comming with vSphere 4 web access but I am very unsatisfied with its functionality.

Default desktop link is working correctly vmware-vmrc.exe -h infrastructurehost:443 -M vm-288

I can add -X parameter for full screen startup, this is working as well.

But when I try any other parameter remote console does not connect to machine:

1. entering machine path instead of machine "code" *vmware-vmrc.exe -h czprgvmwmgmt01:443 -X "[Systems_1_ClusterSitel1] CTX_PROFILE_SERVER/CTX_PROFILE_SERVER.vmx" *gives me error:

Error opening the remote virtual machine czprgvmwmgmt01:443\[Systems_1_ClusterSitel1] CTX_PROFILE_SERVER/CTX_PROFILE_SERVER.vmx:

• The request refers to an unexpected or unknown type.*

2. entering parameters -u and -p vmware-vmrc.exe -h czprgvmwmgmt01:443 -u "username" -p "password" -X -M vm-288 gives me error:

Error opening the remote virtual machine czprgvmwmgmt01:443\vm-288:

• vim.fault.InvalidTicket.*

3. connecting directly to ESX host (used same command line as ad 1. but with changed host address) gives no error but no console as well (for authentication used host's root account).

Petr

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Petr,

I have tested all the scenarios you are describing and i can confirm the same behaviour in my lab.

regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
neaker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there,

Ii know its an old post but was wondering if you managed to get round this issue? Im having the exact same issue when specifying Username and password..getting the error vim.fault.InvalidTicket

Many Thanks in advance

Blueneaker

0 Kudos
neillg
Contributor
Contributor

Has anybody resolved this? I get the same issue and can't find any resolution.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Petr,

First of all, I should mention that running VMRC from the command line is not currently supported in any way, shape, or form. So, the official response is "please don't do that". (Or, do so at entirely your own risk.)

However, for what it's worth:

1) Is Systems_1_ClusterSitel1 a datastrore? Is that "l" supposed to be there before the "1"? The path should be specified in the "[datastore] fully_qualified_path_to_vmx.vmx" format. If that's correct, then I am not sure what's happening.

2) This is a known issue. Username & password on command line don't work with VM MOIDs. Look for it being fixed in future versions of vSphere.

3) Not sure what's happening there from the info you provide. However, you could try connecting to ESX host and passing in -M with VM's MOID .

Hope this helps,

- Victor

0 Kudos
d0se
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Victor,

i have the very same issue and want to give some additional information since the original post was one year ago and i need to get around this as soon as possible Smiley Happy

Connection to vCenter Server

When using the MOID of vCenter Server the order of the arguments causes different behavior.

- vmware-vmrc.exe" -X -h 10.10.10.11:443 -M "vm-1546" -u "root" -p "password"

vmrc is opening, asks for login credentials and subsequently shows the VM. The given credentials seem to be ignored but at least it works. (I don't want an additional login for the user but perhaps it helps.)

- vmware-vmrc.exe" -X -h 10.10.10.11:443 -u "root" -p "password" -M "vm-1546"

Error opening the remote virtual machine 10.10.10.11\vm-1546

vim.fault.InvalidTicket

In this order i get the Exception above, no matter if the port is added to the vCenter Server IP or not.

- Using the correct Path to the vm with vCenter server doesn't work at all. The following call gets an exception.

vmware-vmrc.exe" -X -h 10.10.10.11:443 -u "root" -p "password" "[DataStore] VM-WS/VM-WS.vmx"

Error opening the remote virtual machine 10.10.10.11\[DataStore] VM-WS/VM-WS.vmx:

The request refers to an unexpected or unknown type.

I know the path is correct since the very same call to the underlying ESX server works fine and i do not have to type in my username an pw as by connecting to vCenter with the MOID (like above).

You wrote that running vmrc from the command line is not supported. Is there another supported way to get remote access to a VM by not using vSphere client? Or can i invoke vmrc from my C# program directly?

Thanks and regards

Patrick

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Patrick,

Thanks a bunch for the additional feedback! It is definitely useful to us.

Theoretically, -M should ideally go last. However, like I said, there is a known issue with username/password-on-commandline not working with MOID.

Unfortunately, there is currently no supported way to get the VMware Remote Console up and running outside of VMware vSphere Client and VMware Web Access. Hearing feedback from customers like yourself and others in this thread interested in these types of solutions is always welcome! However, I can't speak to or make any promises regarding any future developments of our products - all

I can tell is to keep an eye out for this moving forward. Smiley Happy

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping for, but I hope this thread is at least somewhat helpful.

Thanks,

- Victor

0 Kudos