VMware Cloud Community
kindzma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"The host license edition is not compatible with the vCenter Server license edition"

One of our ESXi 6.7 hosts was reset via "Reset System Configuration" in the course of troubleshooting of a networking issue:

kindzma_0-1682021880072.png

Once reconfigured back to how it was before, re-connected to vCenter, and re-assigned the same "VMware vSphere 6 Standard" license, the host gets an error, "The host license edition is not compatible with the vCenter Server license edition".

The host is one of about 20-30 running on the same license, identical hardware, etc., and I am stumped why this may be happening.

Where would I go to try figure out exactly what's causing this? Any specific events or logs that spell out the root cause?

A response to "Alert The host license edition is not compatible with the vCenter Server license edition. What does ..." says it could be:

• license capacity vs. usage (not an issue),
  • features (no changes to features before/after tmk),
  • wrong license key (seems we have the right one),
  • VCSA / ESXi / vSphere license mismatch. (Can't see how this could be the issue as we're running VCSA 7 with a number of ESXI 6 and 7 hosts, and they don't seem to be complaining - but then I can't be sure.)

The main (so far) question is:

Is there a way to figure out from the logs or somewhere else, which one of the above reasons is the cause of the issue?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Green851
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello dear,

I have seen your issue would like to suggest you hope so it will helps

To troubleshoot this issue, you can check the following:

1. Verify that the license key applied to the host is compatible with the vCenter Server version and edition. You can check this by comparing the license key with the information in the vCenter Server License portal.

2. Check the logs of the vCenter Server and the ESXi host for any errors related to licensing. Look for any events or error messages that may indicate a license mismatch or compatibility issue.

3. Verify that the license key is correctly applied to the ESXi host. You can check this by logging into the ESXi host directly and checking the license information.

4. Check the license usage and capacity in vCenter Server. Make sure that the license usage is not exceeding the license capacity.

5. If none of the above steps help, try removing the host from the vCenter Server inventory and then adding it back. This may help refresh the licensing information for the host.

If you are still unable to determine the cause of the issue, you may need to contact VMware support for further assistance. 

Please share your feedback here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Shen88
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@kindzma,

By default, the alarm is triggered by the following event "com.vmware.license.HostLicenseEditionNotAllowedEvent" and this is triggered when the edition of the license installed on the host is not compatible with the vCenter license edition. For example, vCenter Server uses the vCenter Server Standard license, and the host connected to this vCenter Server uses the vSphere Essentials license. Resolution is to Install a compatible license on the host. For example, if vCenter Server uses the vCenter Server Standard license, install the vCenter Server Standard license on the host, too.

Also, consider referring - Unable to Assign a License to an ESXi Host (vmware.com)

If you think your queries have been answered, Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" and consider giving kudos to appreciate!

Regards,
Shen
0 Kudos
kindzma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For example, if vCenter Server uses the vCenter Server Standard license, install the vCenter Server Standard license on the host, too.

Just to confirm, are you suggesting applying a vCenter license (i.e. a license strictly and exclusively for vCenter) to an ESXi host?

(I didn't think that was possible, and in fact it doesn't seem to be: the VCSA license we have in the license manager cannot be applied to this ESXi host: it's just not showing up as an available option.)

If I misunderstood, could you please explain what you meant?

0 Kudos
Green851
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello dear,

I have seen your issue would like to suggest you hope so it will helps

To troubleshoot this issue, you can check the following:

1. Verify that the license key applied to the host is compatible with the vCenter Server version and edition. You can check this by comparing the license key with the information in the vCenter Server License portal.

2. Check the logs of the vCenter Server and the ESXi host for any errors related to licensing. Look for any events or error messages that may indicate a license mismatch or compatibility issue.

3. Verify that the license key is correctly applied to the ESXi host. You can check this by logging into the ESXi host directly and checking the license information.

4. Check the license usage and capacity in vCenter Server. Make sure that the license usage is not exceeding the license capacity.

5. If none of the above steps help, try removing the host from the vCenter Server inventory and then adding it back. This may help refresh the licensing information for the host.

If you are still unable to determine the cause of the issue, you may need to contact VMware support for further assistance. 

Please share your feedback here.

kindzma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey @Green851 - thanks for chiming in! Did you have a chance to read the question? Specifically, the summary of it at the bottom of my post?

The main (so far) question is:

Is there a way to figure out from the logs or somewhere else, which one of the above reasons is the cause of the issue?

If you read the question, you will see that some (or perhaps all) of your suggestions have been answered:

Verify that the license key applied to the host is compatible with the vCenter Server version and edition. You can check this by comparing the license key with the information in the vCenter Server License portal.

Answered here:

The host is one of about 20-30 running on the same license, identical hardware, etc.

Check the logs of the vCenter Server and the ESXi host for any errors related to licensing. Look for any events or error messages that may indicate a license mismatch or compatibility issue.

Which logs, specifically? Where would I look for them? (That's part of my question, and I was hoping for specific hints, steps or suggestions vs. references to "here's where are all of VMware logs" in the documentation.)

Verify that the license key is correctly applied to the ESXi host. You can check this by logging into the ESXi host directly and checking the license information.

Already answered, along with your other suggestions.

Would you be able to answer the question, or suggest specific steps to resolve my issue?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
kindzma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What ended up working (most likely):

• Disconnect the host from vCenter.
  • Remove the host from inventory.
  • DCUI into the host directly, remove the license. (If there is one.)
  • Re-add the host to vCenter.
  • Assign the same license that was assigned to it before.
  • Done, the license shows up as valid, no license errors in vCenter.

(Unsure if all of the above steps are necessary; probably not. I am fairly certain I've done the above sequence at least twice before today - so am still puzzled what made it work the 3rd time - yet here were are.)

P.S. There is also an unlikely possibility that adding networking (virtual port groups and switches) in the host's configuration had some effect on it. Doubt it through.

0 Kudos
kindzma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Step 5 ended up working, with the addition of removing the license directly on the host before re-adding it back to vCenter.

0 Kudos