VMware Cloud Community
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

newbie lab setup on DL360 g4

Hi

I have Dl 360 g4 ,and I would like to use it as a VMware lab . my question is do i need to install windows server first then install vmsphere esx 4 or esx1 or I can just boot from a CD if I download the iso. I think that is a starting question. I am sure I have more but for know this will a least get me started

Thank you for your reply in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Depending on what was on this disk before you plugged it into the server, you may or may not have to reconfigure it as a JBOD disk in the RAID controller's BIOS. During boot the RAID controller should show 1 logical volume. If not, press "F8" and configure the disk for use.

André

View solution in original post

8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

ESXi is a bare metal Hypervisor, which means it is installed natively on the server. It will wipe any data on the installation disk!

ESXi 4x is not supported on the G4 model, however it will run. Keep in mind though that you can only install and run 32-bit operating systems as virtual machines.

André

xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

André

Thank you !!!

I do not want to waist this dl server. so I have no choice , I will run 32 bit OSs as VMs. so what is my first step. just down load the esxi and burn it to cd or just use usb. can you please help me with VM steps or direct me to where I can follow the install steps to do it on this server. for now , i just want to be able to understand the concept and see it work, 32 or 64 bit I think is not something to worry about right now. what you think ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For trial only you can just download the free ESXi Hypervisor, burn it on a CDROM and boot from the it. Don't forget to setup your RAID first.

André

xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Don't forget to setup your RAID first?

that is new to me .. is that a menu question that will be presented to me while installing the VMsphere ?

sorry if I am asking this stupid questions..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I assume you are using multiple HDDs in your DL360 G4. The RAID setup is done either using HP's Smartstart CD ROM by running the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) or simply by using the RAID/SmartArray controller's BIOS which can be accessed during boot with the "F8" key.

André

0 Kudos
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok gotcha, I only have one HDD . and I am downloading now the software

here is the file that was downloaded

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-4.1.0.update1-348481.x86_64

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Depending on what was on this disk before you plugged it into the server, you may or may not have to reconfigure it as a JBOD disk in the RAID controller's BIOS. During boot the RAID controller should show 1 logical volume. If not, press "F8" and configure the disk for use.

André

xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok will try it , thank you for you dedication to answer my questions..

regards

0 Kudos