VMware Cloud Community
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

esx required 64 bit cpu capable of 64 bit operation

Hi all ,

newbie trying to learn,

I am installing esx vm on workstation 7 , and I get this message. , my os is win7

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to run Workstation on a 64 bit OS and the motherboard will need to support hardware virtualization. Check the BIOS of to see if hardware virtualization is supported and that it is enabled.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You will need to run Workstation on a 64 bit OS and the motherboard will need to support hardware virtualization. Check the BIOS of to see if hardware virtualization is supported and that it is enabled.

0 Kudos
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what you mean by "ou will need to run Workstation on a 64 bit OS"  did you chk my attachment it does say 64 bit, or am I not getting it .. sorry just need some clarification. I am running vnware workstation , so the bios should be enable don't you think ?

Thank you very Much

0 Kudos
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well my hat to you , I learned something again today , ty very much, I was able to access the bios and there is no support. I could not find it , I googled it and find out that my hpg62-225nr does not support it .

is there other way to play and learn virtualization w/ this laptop ?

Thank you again

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not with ESXi/ESX there isn't unless you want to try and run ESXi natively.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Matt

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can try ESX(i) 3.5 which will run on 32bit hardware. It will give you some flavor of ESX(i) although not all the features of the current version.

It doesn't take much to create a capable desktop system if you are willing to assemble one your self. I just purchased a secondary system, an AMD Phenom II quad core CPU and motherboard for less than $100 and 8GB RAM for $65. Already had some bits an pieces.

xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks David,

if you have a link for AMD Phenom II quad core CPU and motherboard , I am willing to invest Smiley Wink. I need to go back to my old A+ knowledge and start building , I have an old box setting in my desk , I can use some of it peripheral I think. Ty very Much Sir

0 Kudos
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Purchased from my local Microcenter store. http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/167aa3ed#/167aa3ed/4

The motherboard was free with the purchase of the AMD Phenom II QC processor $95. I would have picked another MB -- more RAM slots, SATA3, USB3 perhaps but it was free. I can still decide to get another MB.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

xzyan wrote:

Found this prices. witch one would you recommend ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=motherb...

Those motherboard / CPU combos are not adequate. They include the low power CPU much like the Intel Atom CPU.

0 Kudos
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok am I stop by the one in orange CA,  if I want to pickup one box ready to go , witch one should put my eye on.. after all building it may be slow since I have not built one for a long long time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is what I chose within the free MB http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354006

The only reason for choosing it was that it took DDR3 RAM. DDR2 is last years RAM and if I decided to get another MB with 4 RAM slots 6 months from now I won't have trouble finding another 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

You shouldn't have any trouble building one. If your experience included setting a dozen jumpers then relax. No jumpers. MB mostly adjust themselves to RAM speed, processor type etc. The MB I got has GB LAN and video built in as well as 4 SATA. Make sure your power supply has enough power.

0 Kudos
xzyan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok , you convinced me to build it myself , I am stopping tomorrow by one of the store and get it.

0 Kudos