VMware Cloud Community
threepick
Contributor
Contributor

SOS Help Needed

Please excuse any inane questions since I am totally new to networking setup. 

I have a standalone server with vSphere Esxi 5.1 installed with a static address, (example, IP 10.1.10.1, subnet 255.255.255.0, and gateway 10.1.10.2).  The router that I propose to use is a Linksys E4200 which has the DHCP disabled.  What static address do I add to the router?  The Client computers are a laptop and desktop.  What address do I apply to the client adapter settings for TCP/IPv4 and what addresses should I use for the desktop adapter TCP/IPv4?   The connection software I will use is vSphere Client 5.1.  Both laptop and desktop are wired to the server.

I will very grateful and appreciate any information.  If I am asking for information at the wrong place please guide to the correct place.

Thanks,

Threepick

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

this sounds a bit confusing. Anyway, what you would usually do in a Class-C network (subnet mask: 255.255.255.0) is to set the router's IP address to the x.x.x.1 and configure the other devices with IP addresses x.x.x.2 - x.x.x.254, and all devices should be connected to the router.

André

threepick
Contributor
Contributor

André

Thanks for the welcome and prompt reply.  If I understand, does this mean that i would set the router to x.x.x.1,the desktop to x.x.x.2, the laptop to x.x.x.3, and the server to x.x.x.254?   What would the addressing look like for a Class-B setup?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, you are actually using Class-A IP addresses with 10.x.x.x. However that doesn't matter much in a private network. The different classes basically define the number of available IP addresses in the network. For details please take a look at e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

André

0 Kudos