VMware Cloud Community
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for QuickStart webcast downloads for watching offline

Apologies if this has already been addressed. I looked but did not find the answer.

I would like to download the QuickStart series webcasts (all 4) that are available at http://www.vmware.com/support/product-support/vsphere/ (lower left hand corner section heading QuickStart series - 4 parts). The website links are only for streaming video. The convert to WMV and SWF options are grey.

Why do I want the download link? So I can download to my laptop and view offline while I'm on an airplane or in a hotel which typically doesn't have good internet connectivity.

As a WebEx customer, I know every recording has both streaming and download links. I also know that few in my company are aware of the download link. I know, because every time an email goes out about a technical or company meeting presentation being available (I work for a software company) I have to ask for, and then explain, how the link is in the "your recording is ready" email sent from WebEx. Eventually I get it and I'm good to go.

Are the downloads posted anywhere? Who can I get in touch with at VMware that will understand my request and be able to help?

Incidentally I spoke with WebEx about this (that the WMV and SWF options were greyed out, and that I really don't understand why there isn't an option to save to disk in native ARF format in the first place. The WebEx ARF player is downloadable from webex.com.) After the overseas tech understood what I was talking about he explained it's a security issue. I suggested it work like Adobe Acrobat does which is that an option exists which enables or prevents someone from bring able to open a PDF while viewing a website and 'save to disk'. A similiar option for WebEx streaming videos I think, should default to allow this saving. Just my opinion of course, but I think it makes sense. The tech gave me the contact person at WebEx for the feature request. I have a call into him but it doesn't solve my immediate problem.

I found some Google articles about looking for the temp file and copying it. It doesn't work on Windows 7 due to file locks. Another option is to capture with a screen recorder. Yes, I can do that. The webcasts I'm looking for are 1-2 hours long each and there are 4 of them. I'm looking for a better way...

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The biggest reason they aren't down-loadable is that VMware wants people to register. It is one way to gauge usefulness, viewer location, etc.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Dig it. A streaming link is available after I register so I can

stream a previously recorded webcast. - I just can't download it to

watch offline.

I'm an existing customer... These webcasts are free.

Are you with VMware? Can you email the product manager directly?

Thanks dstavert.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Not with VMware. If you need direct access to someone you would need to try contacting VMware by phone.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos