VMware Cloud Community
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let user change password

Hi all,

I'm new with vSphere 4. I notice that we must give a user role: Host > Local Operations > Manage user groups so that he can change his password by himself.

Is that the correct role? Because I notice if he has that role, he can also change other users' password (including root). Not so good, right?

Thanks for any hints.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Is that the correct role? Because I notice if he has that role, he can also change other users' password (including root)

Not necessarily. You need to be root to change passwords, or change to root after logging in as user. But I don't think you CAN change the password on an ESX host unless you give them console access. Console access requires root, if you don't give them root they can't do it.

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is this esx 4 or esxi 4?

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's ESXi 4 Installable.

The reason I ask this is because, I thought we can let user to change his password by his own. Is that possible?

Or root must always help user to change his password, but that means root knows his password.

Is there any correct way to let user change his own password?

0 Kudos
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Nope, not from my understanding with ESXi. If it were ESX then a user could log into the service console via SSH and change their password. For ESXi I don't believe it is possible to do so, I will check in my lab to verify though. What role will this user have?

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
fajarpri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I set the user to be able to Add, Remove VM and related roles like assign VM to resource, allocate disk, etc.

0 Kudos
MoRRiS1
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone have a solution for this?

If you give a user the rights as suggested he inmediately is able to browse al VM's and start/stop all VM's.

That can't be the way to let users manage there own password.

Is there any decent way to let users choose/manage there own passwords in ESXi 4 ?

0 Kudos