VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

First New 4.0 Host

currently have a 3.5U4 infrastructure and looking to put a new 4.0 host in the cluster. Went thru the install and currently at the console. Seem to be having a connectivity iss i think. i am trying to add the host in the vSphere client and it can't find teh host. The service console is connected and i have two nics connected to teh network. Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong? vCenter can't find teh host. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Perry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

typically you should bind to one of the onboard NICs and it will become vmnic0. You may try to bind your other onboard to see if that works.

ifconfig will tell you what is onboard and what is PCI.

Here's a good link on how to unbind and bind the NICs

http://vmware-land.com/esxcfg-help.html

You will use the esxcfg-vswitch command.

if it works, you can change to /etc/vmware/esx.conf to reflect the new names

If all else fails, start the install over again and pic a different onboard than you did the previous time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mjbtechie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you trying to add the new host to the vSphere Server using the IP address or FQDN? If you're using the FQDN on vSphere you might check to make sure it has a DNS entry for the new 4.0 Host. Are you able to ping the new host from the vCenter Server system?

AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need a vCenter Server 4.0 to manage a ESX 4.0.

Which is the version of your vCenter?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i tried both. I can't even ping the address that i gave the host during install. The nics are plugged in. I did teh instll with the Host totally disconnected from network or the SAN.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre,

I do have vCenter 4.0 installed. But i only have 3.5U4 hosts at this time. I am adding a new host (4.0) then i plan to upgrade the tow others to 4.0 later.

0 Kudos
mjbtechie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's a bummer. At the ESX 4.0 console does everything look ok if you run 'ifconfig'? Can you ping other systems on the network from the new ESX host? I messed around with a similar problem not long ago only to realize I had the wrong subnet mask on the vCenter Server.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is what things look like in ifconfig. I have 6 nics in this host.

VMnic0, VMnic1, VMnic2, VMnic3, VMnic4, and VMnic5 all are not connected accorning to transmit and recieve stats and have no ipaddres. Then there is one called vswif0, and that is the one that has trasmit errors and the correct IP address and Mask.

There are 2 onboard nics and 4 add ons. On the other hosts the console is one of the on board nics.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vswif0 is your service console

at the command line type

esxcfg-vswif -l

Do that list the correct IP and mask?

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it does shoe the correct ip address and Mask.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

....and you can ping the default gateway?

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No i cannot. I'm not even sure what nic needs to be connected. What am i missing?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

typically you should bind to one of the onboard NICs and it will become vmnic0. You may try to bind your other onboard to see if that works.

ifconfig will tell you what is onboard and what is PCI.

Here's a good link on how to unbind and bind the NICs

http://vmware-land.com/esxcfg-help.html

You will use the esxcfg-vswitch command.

if it works, you can change to /etc/vmware/esx.conf to reflect the new names

If all else fails, start the install over again and pic a different onboard than you did the previous time.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i had to go thru the install again. Not sure the drivers were loaded for the nics. That's the only thing i can think of. Thanks for the help!!

0 Kudos