VMware Cloud Community
syscare
Contributor
Contributor

Physical to vcpu

We have 48 CPUs x Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5220R CPU @ 2.20GHzin one server , how much virtual cpus we can create and assign to vms.

Logical processors
Processor type
Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5220R CPU @ 2.20GHz
Sockets
Cores per socket
Hyperthreading
Yes, enabled

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

On the assumption that you're asking about ESXi/vSphere, I've reported your post to the moderators asking them to move it to the general vSphere area, since you're not asking about a security advisory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

For ESXi 7.0 you can have up to 4096 vCPUs (see VMware Configuration Maximum tool).

In your case as you approach 48 vCPUs your host will start making more use of logical cores (Hyperthreading) and you'll be moving into "over-provisioned" territory. Towards 96 vCPUs you will be well into that territory and the available host CPU time will be being shared as 'fairly' as possible between all the vCPU demands on it, and VMs may be contending for resources and experiencing slower performance.